Dannabis

Hello people!

Hey all, just found this forum and signed up.

I was unofficially diagnosed with AS this year after seeing a psychotherapist for a few months who was treating my anxiety disorder. I'm sure a lot of you are in the situation where you wont be officially diagnosed because you're too old which is exactly my case, however the therapist was adamant that this was what I have. While I'm writing this I may as well ask: Is it common for anyone else here to struggle/have struggled in education, particularly college/university with completing work. This has been and is the case for myself all my life, so I was just wondering if this is common ground for other AS sufferers.

I had trouble with essays.timetables,rota's,

For art history and other essays they want you to quote and reference all the books and sources.it was a nightmare for me so I just made a list of all the books i'd read and when it came to essay time I'd hold it all in my head and write it all down at once in one sitting,this is how i do videos/film and music.Luckiliy i was on an art degree course so if anyone asked 'how long is a peice of string?' i could reply with an acedemic elastic band.

You should be proactive with the diabilities dept ,they are very ignorant of the subject and the needs of the students.I left after 2 years as i was undiagnosed then despite numerous 'disability ' assesments and thought the course was simplistic,rote learning tat.

Try typing in Salford Uni is (word that rhymes with hit) in the search engine box.

Luckily for you you know whats going on now,so get(DEMAND if neccesery) all the help you can.

In my first year I was up before the vice chancellor for sending my first e mail to the disabilities dept.The crime was saying that the disabilities were rubbish and calling the disabilities staff 'a bunch of saladdogers'.The real crime was that the word saladdogers implied the word FAT.if I'd have said Fat then Id have been thrown out staight away,ahhh languauge and aspergers!!I laugh at the mediocrity of much further education now and the pc obssesed drones.Stalin would be proud of em!

Hey all, just found this forum and signed up.

I was unofficially diagnosed with AS this year after seeing a psychotherapist for a few months who was treating my anxiety disorder. I'm sure a lot of you are in the situation where you wont be officially diagnosed because you're too old which is exactly my case, however the therapist was adamant that this was what I have. While I'm writing this I may as well ask: Is it common for anyone else here to struggle/have struggled in education, particularly college/university with completing work. This has been and is the case for myself all my life, so I was just wondering if this is common ground for other AS sufferers.

Well my therapist said that they "wont diagnose adults in the West Midlands". As far as I'm concerned, I knew I had something all along but just couldn't put a name to it. Any official confirmation which is needed would come from her.

Well my therapist said that they "wont diagnose adults in the West Midlands". As far as I'm concerned, I knew I had something all along but just couldn't put a name to it. Any official confirmation which is needed would come from her.

Hi Dannabis

The psychiatrist for my area won't refer adults for assessment either :wacko: Seems to be abit of a Postcode Lottery...

In hindsight, at Uni I read far too much 'around' a subject, giving myself an awful lot of extra work and so much information it was difficult to condense it down into the 'relevant' information required for each assignment. It also meant that I was aware of (but felt it was not as important) that my classmates were all down the pub or eating out together. It only mattered when I realised that they were still doing better academically and it really stung!!

Lynda

Hello,

to me studying is like looking at a million tiny bits of a puzzle. I have to look at each bit on its own and after a tedious amount of effort I sometimes get a bit of the picture - when I can stop jumping from piece to piece :)

I also have the same problem as Lyndalou as I tend to read around a subject and end up with far too much information to deal with :rolleyes:

Hi.

I am just wondering what qualifications your psychotherapist has.

As a rule unless a psychotherapist also has qualifications such as being a doctor or psychiatrist then the training does not include diagnosis.So the psychotherapist may from experience suggest you might have AS but I doubt whether she would be able to give you official confirmation.

This may not be an issue for you if you are wishing to understand yourself better or find that therapy works for the things you want to work on.But I thought it worth mentioning in case you may need official confirmation in the future.

Karen.