Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Glen - going on holiday

Hi, the residential home that Glen is in, the staff are taking the youngster away to Pontins in North Wales on Monday until Friday. I hope Glen has a good time, he will probably be a bit anxious the first night realising he is sleeping there and not at the home as Glen does get anxious in new places. I'm sure all will go ok though, I can't wait to hear all about it when they get back. :)

It sounds like a great opportunity for him. Presumably he is not the only person there with issues about unfamiliar environments and routines so hopefully the staff at the home will have anticipated all of this and have worked out how they will handle it, especially if they routinely go on these holidays.

Hope all goes well :)

K x

Thanks Kathryn yes they do go on these holidays every year so they are well aware of how to deal with it all. I'm sure the experience will be a positive one for Glen, they are taking photos so can't wait to see them on their return. :)

Sounds fab. One of my friends son is in a residential home and they go on holiday and he loves it. I think it's wonderful that they can have these opportunities whilst you can be confident that he he safe and being well looked after. I like hearing the positive stories - makes me feel better about our potential future!

Lynne

He may not want to Agado-do-do push pineapple shake the tree, but I'm sure other elements of the holiday will be really enjoyable. :thumbs:

Talking of 'elements', hope the sun shines for him and he gets plenty of chances to paddle etc.

L&P

BD

Thanks ladies I hope Glen has a fab time to it would be good if he could laugh again and have fun like he used once upon a time :)

When Glen first arrived at Pontins he was a little agitated I was told but now he has settled in and is having a lovely time. He went on llandudno beach yesterday and had an hour's boat ride which he really loved. In the evening he did some dancing and watched the entertainment at the club. So pleased all is going well.

When Glen first arrived at Pontins he was a little agitated I was told but now he has settled in and is having a lovely time. He went on llandudno beach yesterday and had an hour's boat ride which he really loved. In the evening he did some dancing and watched the entertainment at the club. So pleased all is going well.

:thumbs: That sounds just like the holidays my brother's first care home used to take him on and he looks so chilled out in the photos from them - almost breaks a smile a few times! :D

Hi Mumble, yeah hopefully Glen has smiled a few times by now :thumbs: Hope the rest of the week goes well to.

Hi jeanne, good to hear it is going well, have just got back from a holiday like this, it worked because of the choice of things to do, beach, walking, pool, entertainment, all at your own pace, if you wish. It is better out of season as not so many people but a good choice of holiday/break really. Plenty of stimulation.I am impressed at the home for taking them, they sound very committed which is what you want, you must be so pleased x

Hi Lisa

Thanks for your comments hope you and your son are ok. Yes things seem to be working out well for Glen, going to see him next Saturday and taking him a new bike which we've bought him. Then the following weekend Glen comes home for a visit. tc.

Hope it all goes well.

A couple of years ago my son joined Cubs and went away camping with them for Spring Bank which involved hundreds of other Cub groups. I was nervous about it because we were not going with him and I knew he would not recognise people and could easily get lost. But he had someone assigned to him and another child and he had a really good time. He tried everything (absailing, shooting, go-karting, archery etc) and did very well. So, although you maybe apprehensive, there is just as much chance that everything will go brilliantly. And it will boost his confidence.

Hi Sally thanks for your comments I hope you are right about the experience boosting Glen's confidence as that is what he needs. I can't wait to see him next Saturday and take his new bike. I am struggling still with him not living at home some days are worse than others yesterday particularly was a bad day. I still know I did the right thing for Glen in sending him to the residential home because I knew I couldn't help or give him what he needs as he gets older.

It must be very hard for you Jeanne, I know I would struggle dreadfully with it.I think you are very brave. Roll on Saturday eh ! xx

Hi Lisa yes it wasn't an easy decision regarding the residential home but Glen gets more opportunities there than he would ever get at home with me so I know I did the best thing for him. I do wish Glen could tell me how he feels though he rarely speaks and when you ask him if he is happy he cannot answer you. It's such a shame he hasn't got the communication/understanding.

Hi I was speaking to a staff member at Glen's home this morning and he was saying how well Glen is getting on there, he's had a great weekend playing in the grounds there on the swings and trampoline and this morning he was doing some colouring, very calm and happy. So that was lovely to hear, cheered me up no end. :rolleyes::D

Just read through you thread Jeanne, it sounds like things are going really well for Glenn, so pleased that things are working out...does he like his bike??

Hi Suze Glen hasn't got his bike yet. We are taking it up this coming Saturday. I will have to take a couple of photos of him riding it whilst we are there :D

Hi Karen, thanks so much for your comments, yes it is good news that Glen seems settled in his new surroundings. :)