Sign in to follow this  
KezT

should I feel happy or sad?

I had the whole day without DS today. Admittedly I had to swap him for my mother!!!! and niece...

So it was me, a crotechety old woman and three children aged 6, 7, 8 plus the baby. We were out for the whole day - a bit of shopping, to the beach, lunch in the local Weatherspoons, then the afternoon in the park, followed by a longish walk home, making supper, tidying up, then bath & bed for the kids....

Not a cross word was said all day. There was no shouting, no fighting, and no-one ran off. I got to spend quite a lot of the day sitting on my bum vaguely "keeping an eye" on where the kids were, rather than trailing around behind trying to extricate him from escalating situations. In the pub, a lady actually came over to us near the end of our meal and complimented me on how well behaved the children had been :blink:

I'm still not quite sure whether to feel proud of my kids :notworthy: or utterly despondant that I know it would have been soooooo different if DS had come along too :crying: We have never managed a fully sucessful day out with DS - even with both parents along to help - I wonder if we ever will?

Happy you had a nice day out with the family defo a yes.

Your son has different needs compaired to the family thats all so its obvous that the results are going to be different when you spend a day with your family than when you spend it with your son.

Try and not feel bad that youve enjoyed todayx

Your son has different needs thats all.

JsMumxx

We have never managed a fully sucessful day out with DS - even with both parents along to help - I wonder if we ever will?

You will.

It can be more difficult - and a longer process - for parents to know and understand their ASD children than their NT children. It's a more difficult and longer process for an ASD child to know themselves than it is for NT children. It's a more difficult, longer journey but it still has a destination which will be reached eventually...and like most long, difficult journeys the arrival is all the sweeter.