Mumble

DLA Renewal

Does anyone know if there is a deadline to complete DLA renewal forms?

My award runs out on 1st January and I've recently been sent new forms to renew it. At the moment I don't have the time/energy to get the forms done, plus the people I would need to help me aren't around till uni starts back fully late September/October. Is there a deadline I have to complete the forms to - I can't find any mention other than them saying as soon as possible? :unsure:

Also, do I have to start from scratch? Will they have access to my last form, or do I have to write the same and send the same evidence where there hasn't been a change?

Can I get away with saying 'refer to last form' and just write about changes?

If I have to write it again, can I copy from the last form?

Also, with the letter they sent me a paper form. Is it okay to download and use a form I type on as my writing's so poor they'd have difficulty reading a handwritten form. :unsure:

There is a deadline, but forms will be accepted after the deadline (and the award backdated) if you have a good reason for not getting them in on time. Having a mental illness - and ASDs count as mental illnesses - is automatically a 'good reason'. So in effect, you have no deadline.

I also get help to fill this out and it's basically been a copy of the previous ones with a little bit of rewording - unless they've only sent the "has there been any changes?" form on it's own.

If they've given you the big one then you have to do it all again and include any changes. I'm expecting one soon as they are checking into everyone again - very stressful - last time I had a doctor come and see me at my home :( didn't like that at all...

I don't know if you got a copy done last time - but that has been vital in doing my forms - if not and you think your staying on DLA for a while - make sure you copy this one (once it's done) as it makes it easier next time :)

They have sent me the 'big one'. Thankfully I do have a copy of my last form, as does my GP, so at least I can do some copying and just add in the new bits (as if it wasn't long enough already...)

I shall file it in my 'to do but not worry about at the moment' tray. :)

You can actually do it online if you find it easier Mumble. That's what I did with Ls last ones, that way you can save it and just copy and paste any bits that haven't changed. You will be expected to fill in the whole thing again though. There is no deadline but given they take up to 11 weeks to process you probably want to get it done before the end of October or your money will stop January 1st. You'd get it backdated till then when the renewal goes through of course.

Lynne x

Thanks Lynden, I've downloaded their pdf form you can fill in on the computer as I have my one saved from last year so can copy and paste. :)

Personally I'd reword slightly wherever possible but not making changes while doing so IYSWIM? Like: struggles to go out - into - going out is a struggle (or a big struggle)... It's just what the people who do mine usually do - I know the example is badly worded (its nearly 2am) and I don't know if it really matters, like I said, its what they do when they help me do mine... (get other opinions in case I'm wrong or in case it doesn't make a difference) :)

How often do you have to renew as adults? Just curious. My Mum gets DLA but I think she has a permanent one as her condition isn't going to change (was left permanently disabled physically and mentally, and became epileptic also after a huge brain haemorrage (hospital for six months/rehab for 2 years) when she was 46). L got his renewed for 5 years from age 7 till 12 but I think that's pretty much standard.

Lynne

How often do you have to renew as adults?

I think it's entirely dependent on individual cases. Mine was awarded for two years and they said at the time this was because although some of my issues were stable some could improve with treatment so they wanted to review the level of my award intermitently.

My brother's is indefinate because he'll always have severe autism/LD and is always going to need 24 hour care.

It does vary for adults.

My first one was for 2 years, and I renewed this year and it was for 2 years again. This is because I may improve with treatment. I haven't yet, but 2 years seemed appropriate.

Just finished my DLA renewal on Thursday and it took about a month to do in total. A whole months support hours! So far mine gets renewed every 2 years, because my condition could change (it has it's got a lot worse!). My social worker and various other support are hoping it will go up to higher rate care and higher mobility. At the moment I get middle rate care and higher mobility.

Quick question as I try and fill out my form.

I have an issue (not related to ASD) - I have very lmited use of and can't feel pain in my left hand - it really doesn't bother me as I've found ways round it and it's not painful. However my consultant and physio insist that I need to take it more seriously, after they got involved when I put my hand on a hotplate without realising. :oops: Do I put this onto my form even though to me it's not a problem?

Quick question as I try and fill out my form.

I have an issue (not related to ASD) - I have very lmited use of and can't feel pain in my left hand - it really doesn't bother me as I've found ways round it and it's not painful. However my consultant and physio insist that I need to take it more seriously, after they got involved when I put my hand on a hotplate without realising. :oops: Do I put this onto my form even though to me it's not a problem?

YES!!

Bid :lol:

Are we allowed to claim DLA 'cause the DLA form sent us slightly mad?? :wacko::rolleyes:

Even with copying and pasting, it's so draining - and I hate having to write this stuff about myself, because I'm really not a 'can't do' person yet that's how the form has to be written. Seeing my GP and welfare advisor to go through it tomorrow - think it's going to be a long night... :tearful:

Aww Mumble. It's hard enough doing it as a parent, I'm very positive and look at what L is achieving so it's pretty heartbreaking for me to have to sit and list in detail what he isn't achieving but should be. I can imagine it must be even harder to be writing it about yourself. Am glad you have support with it though and I hope you get your decision through quickly.

Lynne

Aww Mumble. It's hard enough doing it as a parent, I'm very positive and look at what L is achieving so it's pretty heartbreaking for me to have to sit and list in detail what he isn't achieving but should be. I can imagine it must be even harder to be writing it about yourself. Am glad you have support with it though and I hope you get your decision through quickly.

Lynne

Thanks Lynne. All completed and checked by welfare adviser - just got to get supporting letter and then post it. Broke down at GPs :crying: as it had all got to me by then, but she was lovely. :thumbs: