Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Serious concerns

Hi just to give you a quick update on how Glen is doing, well he's been going through quite a bed spell recently every since hubby and I went to visit him at the residential home in August. Glen has been very aggressive towards staff hitting and kicking out at them and they have to continually restrain him from causing himself and themselves harm. Glen is continually asking for me & home. Staff are hoping that by coming home this weekend spending time with me it will Glen to settle down again when he gets back to Valley House, just hope they are right. It seriously is worrying times all round. I will keep you updated. :(

Is he on risperidone? My behaviour was out of control on that drug.

Hi yes Glen is on respiridone 1.5 ml twice a day. I think Glen's medications need to be look at they obviously aren't helping to elevate his anxieties.

Hi Jeanne -

Sorry to hear things are going off the rails again. It must be really upsetting and scary :(

Haven't really got any advice to offer, but I do hope they/you can find something to break the cycle of aggression and restraint.

While it must be heartbreaking to think of Glen being unhappy and asking for you/home I think it's also important to keep in mind the reasons you elected for residential care, and the perspective that when these behaviours were happening at home you weren't able - for very practical/realistic reasons - to intervene in the way that was sometimes needed. If you are satisfied (and from the posts you've made I think you generally are) that the placement is the best option for Glen you need to try and put the emotions aside when these situations arise to concentrate on the long term benefits. I'm not in any way underestimating how hard that must be :tearful: , but in practical terms I think it's the only way you can look at it, iykwim...

Really hope the visit home is/has been a good one, and that it pays dividends in the way the care staff have predicted.

Very best

BD

Oh no, JeanneA, so very sorry to hear about this down-turn. >:D<<'>

Really hope things pick up soon.

Does he understand a visual timetable so that he can know when he is next going to see you?

Hope the weekend went well. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi he doesn't really understand a visual timetable no. The weekend was ok, Glen always has a 'sad look' unfortunately. He did hit himself on one occasion but that was all. He never spoke once while he was here. I did my best encouraged him to do colourings which I also did alongside him, plus putting puzzels together, also took him out for a car ride and bought a lolly for him. This weekend stay was better than the August one as Glen appeared extremely unsettled that time so he was better this time. I just wish Glen could tell me what was wrong, why he gets so aggressive etc. It will be interesting to see what happens this coming week back at Valley House, I do hope things will improve.

Sorry to hear things are not going so well at the moment Jeanne. I have no advice to offer but can wish you all the best for improvement in the situation soon.

Sorry to hear he's having problems either with transitions, or missing home, or not understand when it is home/residential time.

Is there anything from home that he particularly needs when there ie. something he always likes to hold etc. I know that moving things from one environment to another can either help or cause problems - so just an idea.

I know you said he did not understand visual timetables. But what about one that just had a picture of the resi home and then some big dots that were removed one a day until he got to the picture of home, and then the same when at home ie. a picture of home and big dots, one removed every day until it came up to the picture of residential home??

So hard, and so frustrating when you don't know WHY.

Great news, I've just been speaking to the home manager, and since coming home for the weekend Glen has gone back there and been fine, happy, laughing, riding his bike, such a relief! I was so worried about him. I think that's obviously what was needed coming home to see me to know that his 'home with Mum' is still here and always will be. I feel like crying now. :crying:

Oh, I'm so glad he's settled back down again, Jeanne. It must be heartbreaking for you though, but reassuring too maybe to know that he still wants and needs you very much. Many, many hugs. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Thanks Mel I am feeling so much more happier again now I know Glen is happy, I'm glad he will be coming home every 3 weeks instead of every 4 weeks, I do miss him so seeing him a bit more often is lovely :)