Sign in to follow this  
Grey Haven

Started Reception Class - having problems - thoughts please!

Hi All,

Connor has just started Reception class at our local school. He's 4 1/2. He's been going to nursery since he was 9 months so so we've not had any real separation problems per se.

I realise that ASD children have an issue with change, but Connor is having real trouble adapting. His anger management issues are manifesting themselves at the same time (just before lunch) each day.

He is on a staggered start, so 9-11.30 the first week, 8.50 - 12.15 last week and today 8.50 to 1.30 (staying for lunch)

The school have been brilliant, they have given him his own workstation so if the hub-bub of the class of 30 kids gets too much he can take himself off there, and they also have a tent for him if he needs some quiet time.

Today I had a meeting with them and they now want to pull back his hours to 8.50-11 for a few weeks as they think that because of the new environment, routines, etc, his "new information" limit has been hit and by 11.30pm (the flashpoint hour) he has had enough sensory stimulation, thus causing the violent outbursts.

We would hopefully extend these hours once he was comfortable with his present timescale and gradually build up to full time education.

I've agreed to go along with this as I would dearly love him to stay in mainstream education and the school have an excellent reputation with ASD children they have had through before.

We are keeping a home/school diary and I've just started the Early Bird Plus Austism course myself.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences as at the moment I'm feeling pretty low and hopeless!

Hi Grey Haven, and welcome,

Even though my lad is nearly 18 now, I remember this time very vividly. He was as placid as a lamb during all his time at nursery but as soon as he started reception class he went totally to pieces, he'd run around laughing hysterically, knocking things off shelves and was totally uncrontrollable, it was a total shock to us all.

It sounds like the school are doing lots of good things to help Connor and it's very, very early days still. It sounds like a good plan to shorten his day at the moment to give him lots of time to settle and get used to things and I'd go along with that if it was me.

Is he going to have any 1:1 help or is he awaiting a statement? When my lad started reception, school rushed through the statement straight away and he had full-time 1:1 almost from the start as he couldn't be left. This, of course, has it's disadvantages too, but just wondered what the school were planning re. support?

I know it's a difficult time and it's upsetting for you, but my advice is to try to be patient. Like I said, it's very early days in his school career and there's a lot of be said for easing in slowly, he has plenty of time to go full-time when he is ready.

All the best.

~ Mel ~

Thanks Mel. They do have 1:1 at the moment using the Teaching Support Assistants and they are excellent. They have someone coming in on Thursday from the local Autism unit to give them some pointers and we have today started down the Statement route - although I understand that this may take some time!

How did you cope with the anger management? He knows he is angry, but cant tell me or anyone else why and when you speak to him afterwards it's like it happened to someone else!

Hi there.

Where do they have their lunch? could he be appearing angry because he is anxious about lunch time? My son (in a SEN school) has always struggled with lunch times because the hall is so busy. What they did was allow him to have his lunch in the class where it was quieter and he was much more able to cope.

The other thing that I'm wondering is have the extending times been explained to him? It could be that he doesn't understand why he hasn't been allowed to go home at 11.30 like the first week?

It's rough for a lot of kids when they start reception but it's especially hard for ours. Your school does sound very on the ball though which is good.

Lynne

Lynden

You are right to point out that maybe the times weren't explained - it has only been the second week when the hours were extended the really bad behaviour stated. I should slap my wrist for not spotting that one!

I have, however, today spent time with him explaining that tomorrow after "playtime" he'll be picked up so he has some idea of timescale! Been asking him to repeat it back to me this afternoon as well, ie "I go into school and have my milk and fruit, then we do work time, then it's playtime, then I come home."

Do you think they are that aware of the concept of time (he cannot "tell" the time yet?) or maybe it's because "tidy up time" is new this week, whereby as previously it was not introduced as they were going home before it started?

Edited by Grey Haven

They do have 1:1 at the moment using the Teaching Support Assistants and they are excellent. They have someone coming in on Thursday from the local Autism unit to give them some pointers and we have today started down the Statement route - although I understand that this may take some time!

That's sounds very positive, so good luck with that. It is a waiting game, I'm afraid. You can try and hurry it yourself by writing to the LA personally. The school asked me to write to them telling them that I fully supported their application for a statement and that did hurry the process along.

How did you cope with the anger management? He knows he is angry, but cant tell me or anyone else why and when you speak to him afterwards it's like it happened to someone else!

Tbh, my lad was never angry as such, just totally overwhelmed with everything. He would become hysterical and out of control but I think it was just his way of shouting "help, I can't cope!", he didn't know what else to do with himself so he'd rush around like a whirlwind hoping someone would save him. He did used to flail his arms around uncontrollably and children would get hit and stamped on, but it was never an intentional aggressive act, as such, he just purely and simply couldn't cope with everything that was going on around him.

Hang in there. Let the school do their thing and it will get easier.

~ Mel ~

Do you think they are that aware of the concept of time (he cannot "tell" the time yet?) or maybe it's because "tidy up time" is new this week, whereby as previously it was not introduced as they were going home before it started?

No - I think many kids at that age struggle with time but ours more so. My son still struggles with time at 8, but he has learning difficulties also. We do timetables for him to break the day into chunks though which helps immensely and doing what you have done today too, explaining to him and getting him to repeat it back is helpful :)

We use word timetables now as he can read but we used pictures before that. I think just try and prepare him for any change as much as possible as it is all very new and daunting and often challenging behaviour comes from anxiety rather than anger, but not being able to explain that anxiety. My son will lash out at times of transition or change, but is much less likely to do so if he knows what is going to happen, now, next and finished.

Lynne

Edited by Lynden

It sounds like school are trying to do what they can.

Mainstream primary school classes are large, and if he is getting overloaded or overwhelmed, then that needs to be looked at to see if anything extra can be done eg. more frequent breaks, he might benefit from some sensory diet type exercises, or other sensory activities to calm him down. I presume he has not been seen or assessed by an Occupational Therapist. Can school refer you to one, or would you need to see the paediatrician who diagnosed him?

The Statementing process takes 26 weeks. Get advice on the proposed statement from somewhere like IPSEA or the NAS to ensure that the wording is legally binding. You may need to consider an alternative placement IF he cannot cope in the mainstream environment. Have you looked at any other placement options eg. autism unit?

My son (10+) still has no concept of time. Often there are co-morbid difficulties with ASD children such as dyspraxia, specific learning difficulties, sensory integration difficulties, difficulties with executive functions (and understanding time is one of those).

Is your child on school action plus? How many hours additional support does he currently get. Does he have an individual education plan?