smiley1590

helping my auntie deliever karate leaflets

i've been helping my auntie deliever her karate business leaflets yestoday and today tomorrow n friday in ely ,m hall in cambridgeshire i been getting disorientated confused about where ive done and where i havn't! .... i never realised how much AS/dyspraxia comes into simple tasks expected of me! getting me worked up frustrated as feel like letting her down as feel she would been better doing it on her own without my help i feel so bad guilty as ive been posting through letterboxes she has already done so doing them twice

getting panicky incase i lose my auntie and can't find her! i don't understand how i get so disoriented is it AS or dyspraxia or both? i'm so easily lost ,disoriented? every housing estate looks the same trying to work more on noticing land marks or something striking about that area so we know what we have done already! just getting so worked up and angry with myself it annoying! my auntie said about spatial awareness is it connected to this or linked in anyway at all?

making me depressed feel insecure that can't even manage to deliever leaflets even that a mission a challenge!

i know my spatial awareness is bad poor...!!!

i now have follow her ... i get so anxious upset stressed as pressure gets too much! i get embarrassed ashamed! i been doing this with her since wednesday morning early (7am) start and each day keep going over ground she already covered now worried i keep doing it! so become overcautious!

my auntie is struggling make her instructors clear broken enough each day getting better slightly! i finish on friday!

XKLX

If it were me I'd print a map off google or buy one and draw in marker pen the streets I'd done in one colour and get the auntie to draw hers on beforehand with a different colour. Depends how good you are with maps. And as for getting lost - borrow a couple of mobile phones if you don't have them so you can call each other.

Regards

Darkshine

I think it is excellent that you want to help her.

Can you both do the same road, with one of you doing the houses on one side of the road, and the other person working across the road ?

If that works, you can wait for each other at the end of the street, and move to the next one together.

we've tried doing one side and she doing other! but get confused where she actually done too house wise as get paranoid about doing same house all time so having to find her and ask her! i feel like im hindence and burden! she says i'm a BIG help! she going to pay me tomorrow! but still feel BAD GUILTY!!! just feel like i'm taking up more time by watching me check i'm doing it correct right! my mum said take your mobile incase got lost which i did today and it worked as my auntie phoned me to say i was doing the houses down an alley that we'd already done!

darkshine - my auntie said she tried that before on her own and time consuming and sometimes tries new areas that she doesn't know she going to do before she gets there! all estates are same confusing! feel like time wasting! feel SO STUPID PATHETIC that can't get directions etc!

XKLX

Ok, try having just a few leaftlets with you at a time (12 maybe). Put those through the doors then wait for your auntie to come to you with the next 12 leaflets.

If you can wait patiently for her to come, you won't loose each other, and the mobile phone is a good idea as a backup plan.

Hi smiley - hope today went/goes better (depending on whether you've finished or not). Don't feel bad - ok so your having to ask your auntie a lot and feel in the way - but do you know something? I bet your auntie is glad of the help, I bet she's glad you care, and I bet she's glad to have some company so she's not doing it alone - keep your chin up - your trying - you might be struggling but at least you are trying and there's pride in that - there's no need to kick yourself down further!

Feel good - you are there, you have helped and your auntie will appreciate the effort - so what if you have to keep asking or keep losing track - wouldn't it be worse to just sit at home and not bother and let your auntie struggle all on her own? and she might have felt vulnerable all on her own - so even by just being there you are doing well.

You are doing a good job smiley - 10 out of 10 for effort ok? :thumbs:

Best

Darkshine (who is sitting at home feeling like a failure so I know how much effort things that are hard to do take out of a person - now just have to find my own effort to try despite struggling like hell)

we delivered 1800 yestoday in derby area ockebrooke so i am worn out tired knackered! wouldn't like to even try and guess how many miles we have covered in total 3 days she asked if i could monday i different area of derby

Alvaston where my other auntie and uncle live but can't because i'm working on monday afternoon 4-6pm otherwise would have done it! we did weds and thurs about 2,000 leaflets in 3 hrs bout days and did alot of travelling in car aswell between each area! ain't stopped been non stop hard graft /work yestoday was a VERY LONG DAY! we did 4 hrs in total and we had sun,rain,wind weather yestoday! i did get paid for doing it (£50.00) for doing it from my auntie! but didn't do it to get ANYTHING! did it because wanted to HELP she got one phone call while out delivering yestoday a mum ringing up asking whether her son could sign up join!i had lazy day today watching TV mainly i was going to go down town go gym and buying new pair of work shoes but couldn't be asked to be honest with you! have NO energy ran out at the moment! still not recovered from being tired! i had to get up at 6am weds,thurs ,fri to be picked up at 7am by my auntie she only lives round corner from me which handy! lol but left early not get stuck in traffic also to get going right away as had so many to get out through doors! my hands cut to bits where got stuck in letterboxes! all part of fun and games of helping out i suppose though!

I said if she needs my help again to ask me! but the only real 'downside' was she very critical harsh at times in her approach with way she is with me did make me upset stressed frustrated as got to know she didn't really understand 'my ways' the 'real me' the way i work function and got me worked up into a mess a state because i thought she knew when she didn't even when try to explain didn't work until she physically saw how i struggled with directions instructions of multi tasking of what she asking me to do was too much pressure she putting me under! i couldn't cope i crumble break snap! getting anxious by minute! she said to me sarcastic comments nearly every conversation we had found hard to swallow handle found difficult as personal attack on me as a person! i found out who she is now truly! not who i thought at the start she said some comments made me want to burst into tears! gr! feel angry! defensive e.g saying she doesn't do sympathy as was trying to explain make her grasp understand the way i work my brain works just when i thought she got it she hadn't! i explained i don't WANT ANYONE'S PITY OR SYMPATHY towards me my life etc just understanding am i being nasty awakard? is it me being picky?

XKLX

XKLX

Dark shine - my Auntie did say herself she pleased of the company as she done it on her own before and found it worked better with someone with her she wasn't SO bored fed up!!!

XKLX

If she paid you, she must have been happy overall with your work.

Maybe next time you could try walking together and doing alternate houses along the road. That way you can see each other all the time and make sure every house is done.

we did do it that way in the end alternate houses so i knew if my auntie in front of me it visual clue to tell me she already done that house so to walk on and do the next this seem to work well and effectively!

XKLX

Smiley, I'm sure the disorientation thing is your AS. I have exactly the same problem where there are multiple iterations of essentially the same surroundings, such as housing estates, modern schools (I sometimes used to miss classes because I couldn't find my way to them), modern office space, hospitals, etc. I've learned to pay attention to and memorise the differences and try to learn my way around based on these different features.