lilnicki

Anyone else have a......

.....dislike of odd numbers??..... I have googled this, and it does seem to be an Aspie trait ( although it's curious that there's no "formal" name for this fear.) I spend most of my day avoiding odd numbers at all costs. For example won't buy a chunk of cheese or piece of meat if the price ends in an odd number....I have the car and TV volume on an even number, i get up out of bed at 7.30 or 7.32 am .....use 2 or 4 pieces of loo roll etc etc. I did speak to a counselor about this and she mentioned maybe OCD, but i don't have the usual problem in that i don't feel anything bad will happen if i don't do it, and there doesn't seem to be any "benefit" to me from doing it.......it just feels "natural" to do it....... I thought long and hard about WHY i'm like this, and i did come up with one possible solution....... i like things to "balance"......picture frames/mirrors/photos on walls should all be straight not wonky, and i must park straight in a parking space or i have to pull out and try again......Even numbers are best because you can split them in half, and you always have 2 equal parts..... odd numbers will always have one left over. Anyone else have this "problem", and what are your theories behind it??

Nicki

I do prefer even numbers to odd ones :thumbs: I shake the baby bottle normally to 20. If I need to shake it more, I would do it to 22 or 24 :whistle: Same with if I shake water off my hands - I normally count out the shakes, usually to 10! :wacko: Sometimes I count things in multiples of 5 so 5, 10, 15 etc so work that one out... :blink:

The world doesn't stop turning if I'm a little freer with my number-countin' but you're right, even numbers just feel more normal :wacko::wacko:

Don't know about the odd vs even numbers but Sam(8) went through a stage of hating anything to do with the number 8 he also has a "thing" with certain colours for example his taxi to school was white and then recently it was blue I really had to convince him that all was well and now he likes the blue one..I dread when they change it again.

Both my ASD boys do love numbers really and seem to ramble on about numbers most of the day. Sam has developed an obsessiopn with counting money and can draw free hand all notes and coins unaided!!

I like numbers but mostly prefer even numbers too.

5 is fine as I think of 5 as half of a pair that makes a nice round 10.

I hate being an age where I am an even number and then an odd number. Dreading 41 :( but for some reason I don't mind double odd numbers. I wasn't keen on 31, liked 33 as it was a repeated number, I am currently 35 (well for just over 2 more days) and I don't mind that as it's the midpoint between 2 decades. I think 37 will be ok as it adds to 10 and 39 I think will be ok as 9 is 3x3. I can justify most of the numbers IYKWIM. 41 though, that's just wrong :(

I do like certain numbers and symmetry. I like the volume on the stereo to be an even number. I like to eat the same amount of food on each side of my mouth.

I think it is bordering on OCD. You think that if you don't stick to it, it will feel "wrong," and that is a bad thing that would happen. And the benefit of doing it is that it feels "right."

I don't think it's important to do anything about it unless it affects your life in a big way. What lengths are you going to, in order to keep the numbers right? For example, if you wake up at 7.31 and you delay getting up for one minute, that isn't a major problem. If you started delaying for longer to get the time "right" and it made you late for things, then it would be a problem. If it upsets you and worries you, then it is a problem. I've been able to accept it as just the way I am, and it doesn't worry me.

It's just something i've always done...... it doesn't interfere with my life as such, because i do it automatically, it doesn't take up time or make me late......just another one of my "quirks" i guess :)

Nicki