Sidewinder040

Left-handedness

I don't know if this has been covered before, but...

I have heard that a lot of left-handed people are neurologically wired differently and that they tend to predominantly use the opposite hemisphere of their brains to neurotypical people.

I wondered how many Aspies were left-handed??

Im still left handed and ive got other ND stuff as well.

During some tests with an OT we found he was neither left or right side dominant.He uses his left hand for some tasks and his right for others.So wired very differently !

Suze/Trekster,

Thanks for your replies.

It is a relief to know that my contrariness is down to my mental wiring, and not just plain weirdness :huh: .

I also have a certain amount of ambidexterity, ie. knife and fork in correct hand, can paint and use tools with either hand, my writing though, is very very laborious and erratic, all my school reports said that i work so slowly. It is very embarrassing at work when i have to write greeting cards out, even writing slowly and carefully i have the writing of an older child. It doesn't have any style to it, it is just functional. Thank heavens we have computers :clap: with which i can use to touch-type proficiently. If i was asked to fill out an job application form while the interviewer looked on, it wouldn't have inspired them with confidence in me. :oops:

Also i didn't like throwing things in sport, using my left-hand, i used to be accused of 'throwing like a girl' :o

Is the writing problem common with ASD and/or left-handedness?

I wonder what the statistics are for the percentages of ASD people among the left-handed population and vice-versa.

Sidewinder :)

I am left-handed for writing.

I eat with a knife and fork right handed, but with a spoon left handed. To me using the same hand for the fork and spoon is logical. A lot of things my right hand is my dominant hand such as throwing. If I am using a knife to chop things or to spread butter/jam I use left hand - don't know what righties use. Brush my teeth with my left hand. When I am cleaning the baby after a messy nappy I use right hand for the cleaning. So there doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason in how I use my hands.

My son is 8 and still showing no preference for right of left hand yet - he uses both equally. He can't write at all yet but that's due to hypermobility as his fingers just fold back.

Lynne

My 10 year old Son with Autism is right handed and always has shown a strong preference to be right handed, whereas my younger son aged 7 who has no Autism has always been very strongly left handed!

We're all right-handed in my family but there are quite a lot of autistic traits among us.

All the left-handed people I know seem fairly normal.

I think your "randomness" conclusion is probably correct.

Hi - I'm right handed, but apparently I sew like a left-handed person, and some people are puzzled as to why I wear my watch on my right wrist (always have done) if I'm not left handed. At a push I can write with my left hand, but that's cause I taught myself in case something happened to my right one.

That's being prepared!

Although I write left handed, I wear my watch on my left wrist.

It's useful when doing DIY to have a good amount of abidexterity.