AdamJ

Net Addiction

I have to confess to having a big problem controlling the amount of time I spend online. I wouldn't have thought of it as a definable 'disorder' but I've found a consultancy firm's website giving comprehensive information about it, so it really is a problem that many people have.

My particular category of net addiction is Information Overload. I often spend hours and hours compulsively trawling through Wikipedia's pages until I think my head's about to explode. Needless to say, I'm a very popular pub quiz team member!

I'm also a camera enthusiast and spend hours on end reading the latest reviews on new equipment.

I seriously think it all might be adversely affecting my mental health. I sometimes think I'm going insane.

Does anyone else share this problem?

yes- i spend too much time on the internet. Do I care? No. Should I care? Perhaps.

Are you going insane? I doubt it, but only you can answer that...

Hi

You only addicted if it is consuming your whole life, if you skipping meals and sleep because of it and avoiding doing everyday chores because of it. I think lot's of people use the internet more than they should but as long as it is not affecting your life then there is not a problem. I know some people have similar "obsessions" with consoles and it can be a problem.

I would say try and keep a balance, if you are working than at least you already have a distraction when you are not at work (incl weekends) try and give yourself a task to occupy yourself that has nothing to do with the internet. Then give yourself a time limit on the internet, so draw up a type of schedule. If it is affecting how you think and feel I think yo should seek professional help.

I go through phases :D but when its a bad phase it is really disruptive to other things in life, I find myself turning my computer on almost as soon as I wake up, and during them times its the last thing I do before bed. Its at its most worst when I'm really obsessed by something and then I have to search and search til I've found everything I can about it :wallbash: Total pc hours today = too many (and this aint a bad day either!!!)

Here's what it says about Information Overload on the website I found:

"The wealth of data available on the World Wide Web has created a new type of compulsive behavior regarding excessive web surfing and database searches. Individuals will spend greater amounts of time searching and collecting data from the web and organizing information. Obsessive compulsive tendencies and reduced work productivity are typically associated with this behavior."

I'm on sick leave at the moment (acute anxiety / severe depression) so I have the opportunity to spend all day online if I choose to. I think I'll raise it with my psychiatrist.

It might be an idea to do that Adam, even if it is merely brought up to keep him/her informed - I have to work hard to control it or it really does impede on life and I imagine in certain circumstances it would be very hard to have any control (as I've found in the past!).