How can a child with ADHD sit for 4 hours at a time and build lego? Starwars Falcon ship hundreds of little pieces? Is this another incorrect diagnois?

Hi there the Millennium Falcon has over 1000 small pieces and is put together by following a manual page by page two booklets approx 83 pages in each not just your normal lego there was in my day!! anyway when he asked for this I thought waste of money but hey hes started and 4 hours of concentration later hes managed to get the base build I'm amazed!!

Does your child have a dual diagnosis of ADHD and an ASD?

I know that my own child filled some of the criteria for ADHD, but the independent Educational Psychologist felt that these came under his ASD diagnosis and other co-morbid diagnosis of dyspraxia, dyslexia, dysgraphia, sensory processing disorder etc.

My son can sit down and concentrate for long periods of time on things like lego models. But he can find it impossible to concentrate on other subjects that are of no interest to him. His focus will go elsewhere. He might begin to make sounds or movements and withdraw into his own world [building lego models in his head, or watching a DVD in his head].

He has dyspraxia, which makes it hard to stay in the same position for any length of time. So he is in constant movement, although this is slight movement [appears as fidgeting] and not racing around the classroom. He always appears floppy and is often tired.

My son can also be impulsive and not think about what he is doing, or what the outcome of that would be.

I'm sure there are other parents on the forum whose children do have both diagnoses.

As you are unsure, have you asked the professional yourself to explain how he can sit and make these complicated models and still receive a diagnosis.

The EP also said that in some areas my son's brain was racing way ahead of what he could do or even say. So he was often frustrated and impatient.

Edited by Sally44

Hi

There are a whole lot of factors that make up the label of ADHD, for example, impulsitivity, hyperactivity, poor concentration, etc etc. My son has been assessed 3 times by CAMHS (at their request), but has apparently just fallen short of a formal diagnosis. Strangely lego was one example that I cited whereby kiddo was able to concentrate for a relatively long period of time. I think part of it is because it interests kiddo and he is therefore able to focus his attention onto it with less effort than normal perhaps. I think in short, it doesn't mean that there is an incorrect diagnosis, given that there are other factors that make up an ADHD diagnosis.

You dont have to be hyperactive to have ADHD. Also inattentive ADHDers can concentrate on computer games but not tasks that are difficult such as homework.