Sign in to follow this  
chris54

Annual Review (Interim)

We had an interim review last week, (The just gone up to seconder school one) just us the SEN Manager and the Educational Psychologist. It was realy a case of running through all that the school have in place for our son. In his statement it says 10 hours of 1to1 support. As now he has gone up to secondary school this is funded out of delegated funding. The way they do it here. We have tried to get the hours increased in the past but with no success.

To cut a long story short. The provision that the school have in place is based on his needs and not the hours in his statement, They, the school are going to attempt to get the statement completely rewritten, with the backing of the EP, to reflect more accurately the provision that is in place, it is felt by the EP that the school should be entitled to more funding as they are doing more than is in his statement as it stands.

I cant say that I have any complaints about the school and what they are doing, lets hope it stays that way.

You say the school are providing more support than the Statement contains?

Then yes, the Statement should be amended to reflect that.

I'm not sure if changes can be made after an "interim" Review. So I would check whether changes can be made.

If they can't you can decide whether it is worth asking for an emergency review, or a re-assessment of his Statement - which should get the SALT and EP to assess him again from scratch. That would give you the opportunity of speaking with them, and sending them a letter of your concerns. Asking that they carry our standardised assessments etc. Asking the SALT to assess his social communication and emotional literacy as well as all aspects of receptive and expressive speech.

You probably already know that now, even if the LA decides not to amend the Statement, that you can still appeal that decision. And when you appeal you can appeal any part of the Statement.

I'm just not sure where you stand with an "interim" review, so check whether you can appeal.

A Statement should be a true reflection of need. If your son is being supported more than the Statement currently stipulates, then it should be amended.

And this maybe a good occasion for you to seek any amendments you think are needed. If you think all his needs have not been identified, and therefore not met.

Just remember that IF a re-assessment is carried out, that they could remove provision he currently has - but only if a professional states that your son no longer needs it.

Based on what you've said, you appear to have evidence from the school that he needs more support, and therefore the Statement should be amended. Try to get this in writing from the school by sending in a letter yourself detailing what was discussed and what was agreed.

Yes the Statement should reflect what the school is providing - as long as that is an accurate reflection of his needs and as long as the therapy he is receiving is producing progress.

You will know the areas he most struggles with. Are these covered in the Statement now, or covered in the proposed changes being sought by the school/EP?