Sign in to follow this  
julia

Good online sites ?

Hi i am now home schooling my 14 year old son !! with some help from the hospital school he attended for a year , I wonder if any of you know of any good sites online !!? .He does Sam Learning online but we are looking for more sites ,We tried some others but he can take an instant dislike to them .He really enjoys a choice of answers and to drag the answer into the box !! Any hand writting is out of the question !! We are looking for good and interesting maths sites too !!!

I look forward to your replys

julia

if you just type maths or maths games into google there are lots of thngs but you just have to sift through - many are for younger kids

remember that americans call it math not maths

but the G&T maths site Nrich is excellent - lots of higher level investigations that really make you think, Com likes them and you can pick and choose. The archived problems can be accessed and they are all under headings according to what skills are being looked at and what level of challenge, and they post solutions from kids around the world.

if multiple choice goes down well we bought a set of cds (5 I think) by the learning company called success builder which start with a set of 'lessons' on a topic (very matter of fact information followed by basic example activities and then a multiple choice test). the version we have is for 14-19 years.

It also has a maths dictionary so you can look up definitions etc. Quite formal but Com quite likes that.

it was quite cheap

if you can get hold of it there is a programme called Kar2ouche that is excellent for history language and PSE.

It has a basic package and then you add in units - things like vikings, shakespeare ...

you chose backgrounds and put in people and things to create animated scenes and then add text etc to build up animated stories

The PSE one is all about modern life, bullying and social settings can be explored quite effectively

bit expensive though

Zemanski

Lauren is a new member of this forum who has a special interest in this subject, so you may like to private-message her for advice.

Her web site is here:

http://www.homeschooled.co.uk/

And her introductory post on this forum is here:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...indpost&p=29473

James

Edited by Gordie

Hi Julia, a few of sites worth a look at are:

www.ngfl.gov.uk - this is the national grid for learning. If you click on "what are you looking for" on the left hand side there is a list of links.

www.ncaction.org.uk

www.educationlinks.netfirms.com - a list of links per subject

www.bbc.co.uk/schools - this is quite good also

Good Luck

Denise 2 :)