Bizarre question of the day...

Last night I was doing one of my least favourite jobs, pairing socks, and it got me thinking. If you buy black socks for yourself, your partner or another family member, do you:

A: buy a pack with 7 pairs all the same so that there isn't a correct way to pair them (although it can get tricky if they go in different loads and end up slightly different colours)

B: buy a pack of 7 pairs where each is slightly different e.g. coloured toes so there is only one way to pair them, but you can end up with lots of odd socks.

(null)

I don't think I have a single pair of plain black socks, mine are all a bit . . . colourful.

My ex used to wear plain socks in varying shades of black/grey/navy. Fortunately he was not too fussed about them matching exactly, I just went with my best guess.

Personally, unless they are your own socks, I would recommend leaving them for the owner to pair up themselves.

Unfortunately, that's not how the division of labour works in our house - particularly as he is the only one earning...

DH isn't fussed about them matching too well, but it drives me bonkers if they don't!

Edited by RainbowsButterflies

There's 3 of us living in one house and none of us can be bothered to make sure everyone's socks are washed separately to ensure individual collection of own socks - I will not wear anyone else's socks :sick: and one other housemate won't either but the other one doesn't care.

So the simple solution is that we all have different socks (type/colour) - or if they are sports socks we each have our own "brands" - 2 of us are quite ocd about things so the highly complex navigation of the world of socks and memorising at least 7 types of sock per person + colours, pattern, material, size etc etc is no problem :wacko:

See... sometimes ocd type behaviour is useful for creating such a highly complex and unnecessary system to make life harder and make laundry duties take longer - which is why I don't do that job 60% of the time :lol: but I know it when I do actually do it :devil:

PS - neither of your options are interesting - sorry :oops:

Buy bright socks for one person and dull for the other

Or plain for one and striped the other

Or patterned in gent's style or patterned in women's style

Or coloured toes

Or sports socks

Or long and short

Or thick or thin....

There really is plenty of sock options available out there :devil: I know cuz its so hard to find the damn things that don't irritate in some way - which is why I buy good ones in bulk... I own about 30 pairs... so sad

Did I ever say that I hate socks? Like really hate them... And shoes... Horrid things - why can't everyone keep outside clean and then we wouldn't need them :D

And nobody has mentioned the washer eating the things - I know - its happened to me!!!! :P

I specifically meant DH's bl*ody black socks!

*I* don't generally wear black socks, most of mine are coloured although I have a few pairs from when I needed to wear them with black trousers.

The kids are that close in shoe size (despite being nearly 2 years apart in age) that they share socks - A sometimes demands pink socks lol.

(null)

My husband has 3 main different types of socks; his black 'good' socks, his white sports socks and his grey sports socks. He also has a few randoms, seldom worn. I end up pairing all the blooming things and I find that the sports socks especially, even though they are all the same often don't truly match because some are more worn than others! Therefore, I have to make sure each pair has the same level of wornness about them and then I have to half-ball them as he doesn't like them fully balled.... :wacko: so I'd say it makes no difference at all for them all to be the same!

I find it much easier to ball the kids' socks because they're all different so easier to pair. I also have a great collection of 'hand' socks - my son's hand-me-down socks I use as gloves for my daughter who has bad excema. They work great cos they mostly go up to her armpits! :thumbs:

Edited by Lyndalou

I specifically meant DH's bl*ody black socks!

*I* don't generally wear black socks, most of mine are coloured although I have a few pairs from when I needed to wear them with black trousers.

The kids are that close in shoe size (despite being nearly 2 years apart in age) that they share socks - A sometimes demands pink socks lol.

I'm guessing that I might just possibly, maybe, I think, I'm not certain, but I'm wondering if I may have said the wrong thing :D

There's lots of choices - let him pick - the stripy ones are cool as are the ones with coloured toes :P

it's easy in my house.

I have all the colorful ones.

Mums always look feminine and dead small so that is already a good hint...

and dad's socks are normally the smelliest and have the most holes in anyway (due to work boots)

Plus I also have girogio armani socks which are also mine as dad wouldn't wear anything like that, lol

Plain black is boring but makes life easier- although have you noticed how many shades of black there are?!

I have a solution - those very useful little plastic gadgets you poke the socks through: keeps the blighters together right through the washing/ drying/ sorting process.

Couldn't live without them now!

K x

I have only black socks, its one less decision to have to make in the morning. :)

Edited by Andy