AdamJ

Tingly scalp feeling of pleasure?

There are certain odd things (some sounds, mostly) that I find so pleasurable that I get a wave of tingly feelings across my scalp and down through my arms and legs. Until now, I thought it was just me but I've discovered that it actually has a name! It's called ASMR, or Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response.

Examples of things that often set off my ASMR are:

Some people's voices, especially quiet voices or whispers.

The sound of someone eating certain things, especially apples!

Watching people involuntarily moving their lips when reading.

Watching people concentrating really hard on solving something like a Rubik's cube or similar puzzle.

The pleasure I get from ASMR definitely isn't a gender-related 'turn-on', it's neutral in that sense, and it's relaxing rather than stimulating. A male doing any of these things can trigger my ASMR although I admit that, for me, it's mostly females. Just last week, a woman sat next to me on a busy train. I didn't even glance at her so had no idea what she looked like, how old she was, etc. But she proceeded to eat an apple and it set off my ASMR big-time - for the entire duration, my scalp and arms were tingling like mad!

Now that I know this phenomenon has a name, I don't mind admitting to it! But I'm curious to know whether people with AS/ASD generally have the capacity to experience this feeling. After all, many people get it when being softly touched but that's something many of us really dislike.

Excellent - that's 2 things that I've learnt have a name in the last month :)

I get this! It's something that when it happens and other people see, it makes them laugh, they put it down to the "someone walked over your grave" analogy - dunno if everyone's familiar with that? but I lack the ability to explain to them that it's not the same at all. I think you described it very well - you said what I would want to say if I could have found the words.

Not sure how common this is to people - or AS in particular...

I thought of a couple of examples that makes it happen to me - the noise of certain books (the sound of the pages - and the feel sometimes)

The sound of a stylus touching a record before it plays

The smell of autumn, wet concrete (with rain after many dry days), the smell of fresh tarmac

Sometimes I get this feeling just by thinking of things too.

I also get a distasteful version that is unpleasant - like soft touches, or certain fabrics, noises I find offensive (like certain fabrics rubbing through someone's fingers), certain foods - a lot of foods! It's like a repulsive judder and the complete opposite to the pleasant version - but the effects on my body are similar.

You know what Adam? There's a weird question I have wanted to ask people.... since your topic is slightly odd yet informative I might just post mine :lol:

Best

Darkshine

I never knew there was a name for it!

I get it when the doctor looks in my ears to see if I have an ear infection. I haven't had one for a very long time, but I used to get them a lot as a child and it made my head feel tingly when the doctor looked in my ears. It's a nice, relaxing feeling.

They know the purr comes from the area of the larynx, and that the hyoid bone has something to do with it (purring cats have solid hyoids and roaring cats don't), but noone knows exactly...

Incidentally - it's where the hyoid bone sits in relation to the larynx that allows us to speak. So I would imagine that purring would be incompatible with speech...

Now that I know this phenomenon has a name, I don't mind admitting to it!

I'm 48 and I've always just assumed that everyone else got this. I just asked my wife and she had no idea what I was talking about. Now she's jealous.

They know the purr comes from the area of the larynx, and that the hyoid bone has something to do with it (purring cats have solid hyoids and roaring cats don't), but noone knows exactly...

Incidentally - it's where the hyoid bone sits in relation to the larynx that allows us to speak. So I would imagine that purring would be incompatible with speech...

Interesting ;)

I'm 48 and I've always just assumed that everyone else got this. I just asked my wife and she had no idea what I was talking about. Now she's jealous.

Gutted :oops:

Is this an AS thing then? :unsure:

Is this an AS thing then? :unsure:

No, it's definitely not just an AS thing. It would be nice to hear from NTs who experience ASMR.

No, it's definitely not just an AS thing. It would be nice to hear from NTs who experience ASMR.

Cool - I haven't gotten around to looking it up so thank you for answering that :)