Tally

Guess what I did today???

Public speaking has never been my thing. I did anything I could to avoid it when I was at school because it was just too scary.

But today I did a presentation to my German class. Our Christmas homework was to write a presentation about any topic you like, so naturally, I wrote about cats.

First I showed them a photo of my cat Mitzi, and then I went on to lions. I told them a bit about their size and where they live. I told them about the lions that live in India, and how fossils and cave paintings have been found of lions in Europe, Asia and North America. And then I explained the mystery of how lions first evolved in Asia, spread across the world, and eventually became extinct in most places, remaining only in Africa and just a few in India.

I really enjoyed the topic, and I even enjoyed actually doing the presentation. The tutor told me it was very interesting, and after the class the others in the class told me they really enjoyed it, especially the way I explained the meanings of the technical terms (I used as few as possible).

I don't normally notice myself changing on a day-to-day basis, but when big challenges like this come up I can see progress in myself and I'm really pleased that I did this presentation that would have terrified me just a few years ago.

It's the kind of thing I might have to do at university next year, so it's reassuring to know I can stand up and talk in front of people now!

You've told us everything and I thought you wanted us to guess :lol:

Well done though - public speaking isn't easy and from what you've said it sounds like you did an excellent job of it and had good feedback - really glad it went well :thumbs:

The topic sounds interesting - if you felt like saying more about it I for one would be interested to learn a bit about cats and big cats and their history - only things I've seen are the odd documentary about them and they mainly focused on diet/hunting, lifestyle and pack orders but little else.

All the best for your future speeches ;)

Darkshine

Well I thought it could take forever for anyone to guess I did a presentation on prehistoric lions, so I decided to just tell you. I'm not very good at these guessing games!

I love big cats (and small cats) and I find their history and evolution fascinating. I thought the lion made an interesting topic for my presentation because they are so familliar to us as an African species, but I was able to tell them things they did not know about lions and their history.

There is a really good article about cat evolution here, which opens as a PDF file: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=stephen%20o%27brien%20and%20warren%20johnson&source=web&cd=40&ved=0CGIQFjAJOB4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbiologia.ucr.ac.cr%2Fprofesores%2FMarin%2520Walter%2Farticulos%2520opcionales%2520evolucion%25202009%2Fevol%2520of%2520cats.pdf&ei=rlgPT-CzFsTPhAfQrqCJAg&usg=AFQjCNEfx2ueUwoW790vwlzS4fWYp2Hw4A&cad=rja

So happy to hear about your success, well done ! :groupwave:

It's fantastic to hear you can see developments in your abilities and that you have obviously developed confidence in your abilities !! :balloon:

Maybe we tend to ask for help here when things are not so great, and forget to tell everyone when things ARE.

I am going to take a leaf out of your book and start posting when things are good, as well as when they're not so great, cos I think we'd all like to be reminded that not every day is a bad one. :police:

Well Done Tally.

Well I thought it could take forever for anyone to guess I did a presentation on prehistoric lions, so I decided to just tell you. I'm not very good at these guessing games!

I love big cats (and small cats) and I find their history and evolution fascinating. I thought the lion made an interesting topic for my presentation because they are so familliar to us as an African species, but I was able to tell them things they did not know about lions and their history.

There is a really good article about cat evolution here, which opens as a PDF file: http://www.google.co...Yp2Hw4A&cad=rja

Hey :)

Sorry for huge delay in responding - wanted to read the pdf first :D

Yeah, guessing would have taken us ages lol - I'm terrible at guessing games too - but maybe some of the random answers could have been funny :P

The article was really interesting - I read it last night - I'm not gonna list all the bits I liked cuz it'll drive everyone else mad (since pretty much all of the article was interesting to me and I'm guessing to you too) so we'll just have to share that interest and know what the hell I'm talking about (unless everyone else has read it too) :lol:

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing it :thumbs: I'm not a cat nut like you but I have always had an interest in anything to do with... nature I guess would be the word... I'm a bit of a David Attenborough fan - so enjoy a wide variety of stuff on this topic - but that includes cats so we're all good.

When I was a teenager and my siblings had posters of movie stars and cars on their walls, I had white tigers, wolves and a large black panther leaping out of the darkness (at one stage - I also had royal navy posters, diving diagrams, star and planetary maps, a giant map of the world and at one time trucks) :lol: I have mixed tastes as you can see!

Best

Darkshine

Nice one, ive done talks about autism but never in another language.