Sign in to follow this  
blue

Empowering parents

Hi all.....I feel a big waffle coming on.....but I need to say it!

I read and read these threads.......I am so glad I found this site.....it helps me to know that Joe and I are not alone!

Dosent that make you all think?.....How could I have felt so alone before....when obviously ASD more prevelant than I thought! How come it's took me 7 long hard years...to finally get an understanding?

How come my son is bullied everytime he steps foot out of the door (he cant go out anymore.....why?)

How come his old school used to segregate him...and on top of his condition....had the audasity to be so cruel, that he now also had juvinile depression (dont worry ...he's out that school now!)

How come other parents in my community make cruel comments towards him....and encourage their kids to do the same?

Shall I sum it all up in one word?

IGNORANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even the authorities tend to do all they can to skirt round the subject.......I have many a year with fingers being pointed. Come on.....how many of you have heard this?

"Needs a good hiding that kid does........I blame it on the parents.....if he were mine it would be different!"

Stop 10 strangers in the street and ask them to explain what Aspergers is...how many do you reckon could answer????? NONE I BET

No wonder eh! No bluming wonder kids like ours suffer...as do us parents eh!

I have to say the only way forward is you....you and you.

I have 3 kids aged 3,9 and 13. I have had to find all my strength through myself....past looking for it in others....Joe is to important to wait for them, they have still got their blindfolds on..community....school...authorities...all have their heads down.

I took my gcse psychology when Joe was 2...because I could see he was struggling. I went on to my A level.....then social science with the OU....now doing Biological Psychology with the OU (brilliant if you could do that...it helps to really understand things...like why my son repeats unsociable word like pooh face.....no...he REALLY cant help it...I would like to explain...but dont want to confuse...please pm me if you would like to know)

I have been excepted at University and I start in September doing Human Psychology degree, at the grand old age of 36!!!!!

WATCH OUT WORLD.....I have made it my lifes ambition to bring about AWARENESS...I will do it...I have to...for all the little Joe's out there. And all the mum's and dad's........it's their future thats being overlooked...IT'S NOT TOLERABLE FOR US ANYMORE.

I'm not asking for you all to do the same.......I know it's hard especially when you have your children.

But try to empower yourselves.........read...read...read....find the answers yourselves. Dont be afraid to make people aware......try to make them feel silly for not having a clue. For pushing your children aside...letting them "just get on with it"...its not on...it needs to stop.

How many threads have you all read about bullying....out of school and in school. How many of you are still seeking diagnosis....how many of you are battling with the school? How many of you seek help?

If your child had one leg....would they expect him to walk? OF COURSE NOT

Come on people.....we can all do our bit...even if it's only small!

Lets try and change things.........out of little acorns....BIG OAK TREES GROW!

All my good wishes and hope!

Lisa

Would love to join you - always wanted to empower my growing knowledge on the subject...

My husband (self dx AS) has always said he once one statement etched on his gravestone -

'Hater of incompetence'.......

sums us up really

Lesley :wallbash:

Autism-in-Mind are a highly active group of parents who are doing their very best to spot light 'awareness' We sadly lost one of our members in May, she died from cancer after being accused of MSBP, so yes we are fully aware of the need for awareness. If you follow my name attached to threads you should get a clear picture of what we are doing.

We always welcome new members because we believe in our Mission Statement

Carole

Edited by carole

Thank you Carole,

I will certainly read through your threads!

I'm sorry about my rant.......I get so frustrated though! I hope nobody gets offended by my thread.....I just wish it was better for everyone, as it should be!

Lisa

If you every wish to join our Campaign please mail me carole@autism-in-mind.org

We are the ONLY parents orginisation, meaning none of us are paid, which is meeting with the Big Wigs. Of course that is not much use unless they actually listen to us and do something!

Carole

Edited by carole

Well Done Lisa!.......your plunge into physchology is B) .I,ve found I,m a walking encyclopeadia on ASD now I,ve read that many books. When my youngest starts school next year my ambition is to become a TA and work with ASD/AS kids .

hello lisa,i think its brilliant what you said,it brought a lump to my throat!

good luck with your studies love hev

Edited by hev

Good for you girl...

GOOD LUCK in September - the "IGNORANT" will have a worthy opponent.

Kind Regards

Clarkie :)

Edited by Clarkie

Well said, Blue, and good luck with your studies. B)

I think you put your finger on it, Clarkie, it is difficult when you're in the midst of your own personal battle as well as trying to hold on to normal family life, and maybe a job, to have anything left over for the ongoing battle to raise awareness generally.

But as you say blue, we can all start small. I know for example there are at least 200 people in my community who know more about ASD than they did this time last year. We belong to a church and my daughter has been on the prayer list for the last six months. When people approach me to ask why they get the whole story of our crisis over the last year. 90% of them do start off by saying "what's asperger syndrome?" and they are really interested to know.

Now I get frequent phone calls from people saying "did you read that article or see/ hear that programme about..." (autism, special needs etc) so people are taking notice!