matzoball

hmm...

Bit of a wee moan.

Been trying to sort out this whole work related anxiety malarky - so have been back and forth to doctors trying various antidepressants. I was prescribed Mirtazipine in November - took one, and it knocked me out cold(barely managed to send in an email to work letting them know). So this time I was prescribed Paroxitine - same thing happened! I managed to call in just after 12, and was told this morning it's an unauthorized absence because I called in the afternoon. 9 minutes into the afternoon.

I am still a bit out of it, but made it in to work today - even stayed awake all night to make sure I didn't sleep in today!

So I'm a bit annoyed.

Moan over.

I have a lot of sympathy with you here. In my experience GP's seem to be unaware of the short term effects of drugs on patients. It might be the case that a lot of their patients are out of work and so when they change medication the negative effects in the short term are not a disruptive as they would be in other scenarios, feel a bit light headed go an lie down in front of the TV.

In my view they should take the line that these things can take time to settle and as such recognise this and possibly offer you a sick note for a couple of weeks in case the tranisition is problematic. Problem here is you can't work under a sick note and so would have to deal with the anxiety surrounding what does your employer really think. It is all about perceptions you rightly wouldn't expect someone to be in work whilst they are undertaking a course of chemotherapy, should we see it very differently in the initial stages of taking a new antidepressant? The natural outcome is where we see GP's trying to feel their way into finding the right drug in the first place and then the right dose. In the meantime we have to try and deal with these scenarios sometimes with support from psychiatric nurses who in my experience can be very critical of GP's and who often are the ones giving feedback in their direction to get things right.

Personally I have come to the conclusion to stop taking antidepressants so I know I am on a level playingfield on a day to day basis. At times I wonder if there is a drug out there which would make my life so much more stable, but I simply can't face the prospect of trying to find out. The main reason being the attitude of GP's which is try this and see how you go, feel like saying you try it and see how you go and then tell me about it. Then they might see how powerfull some of these little tablets can be.

My moan over as well, feel better for that, thanks!

Doctors do tend to assume none of their patients have jobs or any other kind of commitments either. Sounds like work are being a bit officious about the phone call time as well. Can you get a doctor's noteto explain you were not physically able to get to the until he afternoon?

HR are actually being quite understanding about it which I was not expecting - it will either be put down as an unauthorized absence, and I will be docked a days pay with no disciplinary measures(which I am really grateful about - other workplaces wouldn't be so kind), or it will be my last full sick pay day.

I think after the meltdown, then the self harm and subsequent discussions I have had(including kind of jumping down the new bosses throat at a team meeting I asked for), things are finally having an effect on management. Although there was the HR side of things to put through, my line manager was more concerned with making sure I was feeling better and not stressing myself out over it.

I came out of that meeting this morning a lot more reassured than when I went in, I know I'm not on solid ground yet but it's good to know some good is coming out of all of this!

Really good to hear that people at work are trying to understand. Might not feel like solid ground but having something beneath your feet is always reassuring.

Good luck.

I'm on mirtazepine and I've been like hell since september , everything's a hassle/difficult to do, in fact meds are a hassle full stop.....

Hope your work life improves :)