Juno20

Still no idea

I have recently started a part time job at a pub, due to the fact that my business has been slow to kick off.

I have found this really stressfull as I am waitressing and having to approach and talk to lots of people. At first I thought it was just that it was new to me and I hadn't learned what things to say but when I look at how the other staff interact with the customers it makes me feel so useless and freakish. They can just chat and laugh and start conversations with people and seem to manage to actually find out stuff about the customers they are dealing with, where as I literally have a set of rehearsed phrases or lines that I will give when asking for order and taking stuff away etc. Our people complain about anything it really upsets me as I feel like its personal, even though I know it can't be.

We are supposed to get customers to fill out questionnaires on how we did but I have so far not managed this as I just can't connect with my customers and therefore they have no desire to report back on what I was like. My managers keep telling me I have had no questionnaires and must try harder but I am just too shy to ask people to do it, especially when I know that I will have made absolutely no impression on them. :(

I still don't have a diagnosis as my GP never referred me, even though he said he would, but I am too scared to go back and ask again. But going back to working for someone again has really made me realise how ###### I am at normal social interaction.

I run my own business as a dog groomer, as I am a bit of a s

I would write to the practice manager at your GPs to ask if they can refer you for a diagnosis citing why you feel you fit the criterion of ASD eg the results from the AQ test. You could try asking to see the disability employment advisor at your local job centre. AFAIK in order to claim ESA you have to have support needs so you might get some help with that benefit if you can describe your difficulties.

If you can get to Bath or Bristol you would be welcome at one of our social groups where i can show you some books about ASD and employment.

Sometimes the NAS can help with their Prospects advisors, ive known of a few people who got someone from the NAS to explain how their ASD affects them to colleagues.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need more ideas.