dekaspace

I think I have been diagnosed but no idea as it was unclear!

Saw a psychiatrist today(spelling lol) who asked me some questions then mentioned the doctor referred me for aspergers.

He then said "I don't doubt you have aspegers" so seems like an indirect confirmation just unsure!!!

He then said I would get an occupational therapist to help me with social things and put me in groups with others with same problems.

As I left I was asking about a refund for my bus fares and he went "oh I will fill in a form for a pass thats no problem" which I think meant a bus pass!!! Which I wanted anyway but didnt want to ask!!

Just confused really!

I will probably get a letter in a few days with the details but till then I am confused.

It sounds confusing to me too!

Hope your letter provides clarity when it arrives, if not, give the psychiatrist a ring and ask for another appointment for you to ask any questions (I did this when something similar happened to me - although I actually had a report - I wasn't sure what it meant etc). :)

Edited by darkshine

Dekaspace I have had a look at your profile to try and get more understanding of you as a person and found very little there, that is your choice.

On the surface what you have described strikes me as highly unprofessional from both your GP and this pyschiatrist. Did you know before hand as to why you were refered to this psychiatrist and if so has your GP talked about Asperger's with you before at some length. They way you have written your post it feels like this statement about AS came a bit out of the blue, did it?

I was in a similar but completely opposite situation a few years back when a mental health professional casually said to me "there was no way I could have Asperger's as I was too intelligent", his exact words not mine bye the way. My reaction was you simply can not say things like that out of the blue. To get a diagnosis for AS involves going through a process and someone throwing around loose comments is in my view highly unprofessional. In my own case I was aware of what AS was more or less about but this throw away comment left me with no choice really but to get an answer did I have AS or not. The process was not easy and at times it threatened my ability to carry on with my university course as I couldn't concentrate on anything else. If medical professionals only had the slightest idea of what damage their comments can make, but often they do not.

Dekaspace my advice would be to sit back and think carefully about what where you stand. Do you want to find out a definative answer to the Asperger's question or not and then go back and see your GP. If you are happy not knowing and many people might feel this way, then tell your GP that you do not want casual comments about AS raised in this way. There is no reason why medical professionals can not work on individual issues in my case depression, anxiety, self harm, etc... and need a diagnosis for AS to hang their work on. On the other hand if you want to find out an answer to the AS question, loose speculation is going to do nothing for your general mental health, and if your GP feels strongly enought to put this idea down in writting to another professional they should do everything they can to facilitate a full assesment for you and support you untill that happens and after any decision one way or the other.

As I see it this should be very much your decision and not theirs to play with.

Just a few thoughts, best wishes.

It seems that your psychiatrist has acted a little poorly in using such terms without explaining in detail.

As I understand it the only way to get a formal diagnosis of Aspergers / ASD is to go through a set of recognised formal tests. If you haven't undergone those tests then you won't have been a formal diagnosis. So the psychiatrist may be sure that you have ASD but not having done the tests can't give a formal diagnosis.

To be honest the diagnosis doesn't really matter. What matters is to have your needs identified and met, a formal diagnosis of ASD does not really help that very much although it can provide useful insights.