Sign in to follow this  
bid

Mirrors

Hi all,

Today I realised that my 4 year old doesn't understand that the reflection in a mirror is him.

He was asking me 'why little boys and little girls have a matching little boy and little girl?'...

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you think it is an ASD 'thing'??

The other thread on Mirrors was really about how some children love watching their reflection.

Bid :wacko:

Edited by bid

Hi Bid -

It's that 'theory of mind' thing again...

When he starts to get the dolly on the fact that others have different perceptions to him he'll also start to recognise that the mirror is a reflection of himself (i.e. seen from another 'perception'). NT kids usually start to grasp this at around 18mths - 2years, but with ASD there's a tendency for the child to see the world as an extension of 'self', so they have to get their heads round that concept before they can progress to the next stage. If you've taken him for tests, you may have seen them (i.e.) hide a doll behind a cushion or something, to see if he realises it's not gone just because it's out of view. There's a couple of variations on the theme, but they're all effectively hiding an object in a very obvious (to us) manner...

Hope that helps

BD :D

Mmmm,

Pretty much what I thought, Bads :(

Oh well, another example for my ever-growing 'history' for the Communication Disorder Clinic in the Autumn!

Bid :wacko:

Animals are often just as clueless. :lol:

James

My daughter absolutely adores mirrors and will admire herself for hours on end :wub::lol: She finds reflections in all sorts of things, I was overjoyed one time to find her gazing into my eyes until I realised she could see herself in my glasses :rolleyes: She loves to dance and watch herself doing things in the mirror and it's funny when we are out shopping and she finds a mirror and starts dancing in front of it :D

My theory is that she can control everything that her reflection does and she likes to see what she looks like as she does things, what movements she uses for instance, like she watches the TV to learn dance moves (her favourite things are music and dancing).

Hi bid,

Jaden is exactly the same. His key worker keeps working on this with him and I do at home but I think he really doesn't recognise himself.

Going on from what Baddad said, Jaden is only just starting to look for toys / objects he may have dropped or someone has hidden from him. However, he isn't consistent with this and often just walks away.

Denisex

oooh mirrors I can relate!

Tristan cannot physically leave a mirror unlooked! he will have conversations with you whilst looking in the mirror, no mirror goes unlooked in our lives!