Sign in to follow this  
kazzdt

SORRY

What does a Statement of educational needs cover. Is it purely academic or are other factors involved? Have any of you got a statement based just on social inadequacies?

I was told by Sams school that he would not get a statement due to him having no academic problems. This was also said when he was dx (ADHD/AS). He really struggles with basic life skills though and while he is very bright academically he can't always follow simple instructions. No body can seem to understand why this is, despite my explaining and still just brand him as being contrary.

I have recently been attending an AS workshop and have been advised by somenone there that he should get a statement based on his social problems alone.

Can anyone offer any advice on this. Sam transfers to Secondary in September and is going to need all the help he can get.

Thank you.

Kazz

Hi Kazz,

My son Alex, has a dx of Asperger's/ADHD. He is highly intellegent/gifted (not my words, his ed. physc's) and has a statement.

Alex has basic life skills problems too. Social inadequacies are a very important part of life.

Take a look on this link from IPSEA's site. It sounds like you would be better off getting the ball rolling yourself to get a statement. The link also gives you sample letters and advice. You need to request an assessment first.

Schools are very quick to tell parents that they wont get a statement, we were told the same a few times.

Hope this helps.

Annie

:oops:

Thanks for that Nellie. It would help if I actually put the link on my post :D

I've been having a 'me' day today - manicure, pedicure etc first one for about 2 years, seems my brain has totally disengaged :D

Annie

XX

Com has one point in his statement for academic work - only because his writing wasn't up to scratch because he refused to do imperfect work and he's pretty much overcome that now

all the rest is for social communication, personal organisation and pragmatic language (not understanding the nuances and subtle meanings)

Zemanski