Hi all

I know this topics probably been discussed many times.How do i get my son to go to bed> now if he was younger there would be some simpler solution but he is 26 next week.He will go to his room when we go up but he will not get into bed and we can sometimes still hear him talking to himself role playing his xbox games at 3 am. He can be up at 9am he ll sometimes have ten minutes nap about dinner time but he is so angry and mardy and im sure its because he doesnt go to bed early enough and gets up to early.When i suggested he gets in bed when he goes up or at least earlier he says he s not tired and sleep is a waste of time.Anyone have a similar sort of problem

im a night owl myself, i seek the silence of the night. but ive started a topic myself, were i try to stay on track to a sensible sleep pattern and the other members support me. i havent made an entry in a while, but i will start again soon. maybe your son could do something simular.

maybe worth a try but he will only do what he wants to do.He s never really been a good sleeper though even when he was little but i didnt know that he was autistic then its just now that things make sense as he wasnt dx unitll he was nearly 18

i've struggled with sleep issues for long time since was a baby struggled to settle would scream for hours cry for no apparent reason had all basic needs met ( nappy changed/bottle fed etc) i toss and turn most nights and i find it difficult to properly rest my body and mind and switch down /off gets me endlessly frustrated and had knock on effect next day with mood especially makes me cranky depressed /low etc

i went docs had blood test and glucose levels were also checked rule out diabetes nothing was found medically! so putting it down now to A.S as sleep issues common in ASD staying asleep or going to sleep etc maybe his mind active on his X box maybe switching off earlier will help his mind wind down quicker as keeping his mind on and not helping switch off! you thought of docs ? i try herbal tablets which work for me try not rely on them too much though! i also now cut caffeine of a night as this helps keep mind awake alert etc (tea and coffee) lavender smells helps me relax ,chill having horlicks or hot milk of a night may help and it's finding what bed time tips /routine works for your son!

you tried suggesting kalms herbal tablets?

XKLX

As he's already 26, that's a bit "hairy". We have difficulties getting our 8-year-old to bed, but we have established it as a RULE, and we have several rituals which have to be "performed" before/while he goes to bed (there's some flexibility, though, and sometimes he's SO tired he won't mind).

What we've found is that he sleeps better when he has had exercise during the day (swimming, e.g.)

Supper - brushing his teeth - PJs - toilet - we read the chapter of a book - he gets some books to leaf through.

The room is darkened, at the same time there's a 20 W bulb.

And, of course, TV, computers, etc. are NOT in this room.