Sign in to follow this  
Mannify

Cool chanelling

My eldest son (9 next month) has been referred for diagnosis for Asperger's. Anyway, he has been an avid Doc Who fan since he was three and loves the black and white episodes. He has more recently become obsessed with BinWeevils and Club Penguin, and has even produced his own spin-off sites with all sorts of clever editing. My husband decided to get Visual Basic for him at the weekend, and my son has already copied a program and made it work, and written his own simple program. I guess it's not a big deal, really, but I can't help but think that if he can do that at nearly nine, then there's maybe a future in this for him.

My younger son has autism and learning difficulties, and yet somehow I still struggle to view him as disabled, somehow (although I've had to argue that he is to get DLA, so there's a double standard there, isn't there?). For example, in Autumn he flaps his hands in pure joy as the leaves fall from the trees. No one I know can experience such keen pleasure. I can't say it's always been easy - we went through a very hard time when he hurt his sister incessantly (who was 6 months to 2yrs at the time. We bought a golden labrador, though, and it made a difference to all our lives), and I won't claim to have enjoyed being bitten repeatedly, but we're all very proud of him. We're all proud he's ours, including his siblings. My eldest son, of the above post, knows he's Aspie, but I think he views that as a source of pride, too.