Sign in to follow this  
bluejean-genie

a question??

The LEA must consider professional advice in the statementing process and as such a good report with recommendations from CAMHS can influence the decision but that influence may not be strong enough to actually get the LEA to give a statement.

The LEA may argue that the needs can still be met at SA+

Zemanski

Thank you Zemanski,

Yesterday I was told that a proposed statement is almost finished but my problem is that CAHMS are saying one thing but the LEA are saying something else to me.

My son is 13yrs old and he is a great amature actor (local theatre) and he's actually due to sit an O level in Drama at Christmas (private tuition) but he cannot cope with the stress of a mainstream school. The LEA say there is no school in this area suitable for Nat's needs so I was advised to look at residential schools? but CAHMS don't feel that is the answer as it was through CAHMS that Nat was given the name of the private tutor because his acting ability is so good. If he went to a residential school he would obviously have to give up the local theatre where he has attended for 3 years and also the O level teacher. (He is playing Shylock in Merchant of Venice in 2 weeks time)

I want to do what is best for Nat so I was just looking for some info really.

So what are CAHMS suggesting?

You could look for a residential school that offers drama or the opportunity to join a drama group local to the school, or that will be weekly residential so he can continue with the group at home.

Karen

I agree with Kazzen. What do CAMHS suggest would be a better alternative? What are CAHMS concerns about a residential school placement? Is there some reason other than the Drama that they feel it would be unsuitable for Nat? What does Nat want and what do you think? I don't see how going to a residential school would prevent Nat from pursuing his Drama or taking his O Level early but if it is not suitable for Nat or there is a more attractive alternative then it is something to consider.

Congratulations on getting this far. Really pleased that at last things seem to be looking up for you all. Hope it all works out for you.

Hi Karen and thank you for replying,

CAHMS are suggesting he be taught at the Education Centre as even if Nat was found the best school possible he probably wouldn't engage with the school anymore than the mainstream school he was attending as the Psychologist at CAMHS says she thinks he is both school and social phobic at present.

If he stays at the centre he would be able to be introduced into a local college that does drama when he is in year 10 and in the meantime he would still be able to do all the Drama stuff he does now. The problem is the LEA say it can only be a temporary placement so I was just wondering how much influence CAMHS has.

Edited by bluejean-genie