Sign in to follow this  
tracey

DLA

Just finished (or thought I had) filing in my first claim form for DLA.

Had them now for over a month first 2 weeks shoved them in a drawer

(didnt want to fill them in)

Anyhow now that I have they should be sent back pretty quick.

About to put in envelope and send off when I realised the back page on

the green form has to be filled in by someone who knows the child

I thought at first the lady fron cahms might be the best person but dont

know when I will see her (do not have many visits)

Doctor no use as we do not use him for these specific problems.

My partner signed last page in orange form, but wondering if he would

be the best person to fill in this bit after all aside from me he knows

her more than anyone else.

Any ideas welcome

T

I don't think you are allowed to use any member of your family it has to be a proffesional such as your health visitor (who I used). Does your child go to nursery or school if so you could ask your senco ?

If its the part where you have to give details about difficulties my mother filled this in. If it is just a name and address of a professional that knows them it was our carer support worker. We got it and neither of them have ever been contacted.

Denise 2 :)

I don't think it has to be a professional, just someone who knows the child well. I got a close friend to do this bit for us, she has known my daughter for 9 years and has often looked after her. We were successful in getting DLA.

I missed that part when we applied as forgot about it until 3 days before it was due to be returned and they never contacted me about it.

As far as I am aware anyone can fill this part in who knows the child well inc family and friends etc

I got the chairwoman from our local NAS support group to fill in that bit for us and I've filled it in for a neighbour's son before, so it doesn't have to be a professional. You could ask a friend or neighbour or even teacher if your school are supportive.

Lisa

Hi I' in a similar position - just got around to filling forms in after putting them away for 2 months ! I thought at first it had to be a professional who filled that bit in but now I've studied it it does say anyone who knows the child well. I am going to ask my sister to do it 'cos I feel she knows my son better than anyone else. I'm really stuck with the pages (22) which ask about 'what they would do if they had help' etc. Can't nuderstand what it means. But not wanting to hijack your post - will prob post about it seperately when I get chance :wacko:

Luv Witsend.

Hi

Thanks for all your replies

Witsend I was also stuck on that page I think that was probobly the worse

I put in things like help given when out swimming etc (I thought the wholeform was complicated)

T

'what they would do if they had help'

For this section I put something along the lines of would improve his and the families quality of life, he would have the 24/7 support he needs with his social, communication and physical problems that he has. It would also improve safety for him as he self harms on a regular basis and requires constant watching just because of this aswell as the other support he needs.

Tracey

You've probably sent the horrible forms off by now!, but if not just thought I'd throw in a few thoughts. Hope they're not too off track from what you actually asked!

There are parts where you must put down your child's GP

Do put his/her contact details down but if he/she not a lot of good then specifically write on the form that you'd like them to also speak/contact another health professional (one you trust a bit more), put their name and contact details down.

Similarly where it says child's school - write it down but ask them to speak to/contact someone at school who you think knows most about your son/daughter. Write down their name (eg LSA? or school nurse? or even SENCO?)

The DLA are then obliged to contact those people you've mentioned. (If they don't and it goes to appeal the DLA would probly lose their 'case' straightaway)

Apart from that ....the bit about another person who knows you child well as others have said just put down whoever best fits that description eg partner or grandparent or whoever else.

Sure you've already done this but the NAS Helpline DLA guide 0845 070 4004 is handy and

www.cerebra.org.uk looks really useful guide to filling in DLA.

Good luck with application

Andrew

Andrew

Thanks for your advice

Just finished form (thank god its now done)

Put down lots of contacts

Got my mum to fill in last bit

really hated the whole thing

Thanks all for help

T

Well done Tracey,

Don't forget to photocopy it before you send it off!!!! If it gets lost you won't want to do it all over again. :hypno:

Good luck,

K

:tearful: Kathryn thats a very good idea, my last one was lost in post and was hard enough doing it once, I hate putting onto paper what we go through on a daily basis, makes me cry, wish I had scanned or photocopied it, I will next time (forgot to do so with the second form :oops: scatter brain)

Thanks Kathryn I did photocopy a couple of pages before sending it off

Very nearly ripped the whole thing up and threw it in the bin especially

after speaking to cahms lady who asked what my daughter thought

of the claim my response was "she doesnt know" Imight not even get it

I think shes thinking of the future (claiming herself etc)

Why make problems for myself as response would either be I dont need to

get that or Ill spend all the money down the shops

T

I agree with you Tracey.

I have been very selective in what I've told my daughter about the DLA claim, luckily she hasn't been that curious so far, as I don't really want her to see what I wrote about her.

Some might argue that as she's 16 she can handle her own affairs but if I gave her unlimited access to the money she'd spend it all on Amazon straight away. I know the money is better used for other things that would benefit her more.

Edited by Kathryn