Charlie C

Social Services cuts.

Just had another community care assessment to assess my current needs and apparently if I wasn't known to the learning disability team and had this been my first assessment I would't meet the criteria for LD services and would be denied services because of the cut backs. I found out today that they are cutting back my day services to two days a week because of budget cuts so am pretty scared that they will cut back my supported living hours and effectually make me homeless because I can't live here without any supported hours, the care company would chuck me out for somebody that SS pays more for. Anybody here affected my the cut backs?

If you can join your autism strategy in your local area.

With ASD's it can be frustrating. LD services are officially for those with an IQ lower than 70. However there are so many situations where the arbitrary cut off just doesn't address needs. Some services are more flexible than others and as previously mentioned the way funding is at the moment then the extraineous services are the ones to be cut first.

It doesn't make it right or fair unfortunately because even with a high IQ ASD can be very disabling. It is just yet another time when the condition and it's various manefestations doesn't fit societies perception of what a disability should be.