Sign in to follow this  
Red_Eye

What To Expect At My Autism Assessment

Hi, So after seeing my GP a few months ago i now have my assessment in a few days and was wondering what to expect

Pretty nervous about it

Thanks

Hi, Red-Eye

I had one last week. I took my older cousin with me as the centre assessing me asks for a relative who can remember you as a child. We'd already sent in questionnaires, so some part of the process was already complete. What happened last week was a three-hour (could be more or less for someone else) interview that ranged over my childhood development, adolescence and later life, and then moved on to my current situation, making reference to the answers I'd already given on the questionnaires. Basically, it was a three-hour, structured chat. Hope that helps!

When I saw a psychologist, I had to see him over 3-4 sessions with my parents who each had to have an interview with him separately for the assessment and I filled in a few questionnaires. Got the result I wanted in the end.

interview that ranged over my childhood development, adolescence and later life, and then moved on to my current situation, making reference to the answers I'd already given on the questionnaires. Basically, it was a three-hour, structured chat. Hope that helps!

Mine was covered this, but it took about 90mins, then he spoke to my Mum on the phone (not sure how long for). Mine used the DISCO diagnostic tool.

Oh, I was reeeeally nervous about mine too, but they were really nice (the main diagnosing man came with this other woman, I'm not really sure what her purpose was, if she was training, or whether they needed another female present as it was in my own home?). They do these assessments all the time, they must appreciate that people feel really anxious about them, so hopefully they'll make it as un-traumatic as possible (I'm sorry, I'm not even sure that's a word, it's been a really long day!). Best of luck :)

My assessment was over 3 hours, there was a psychiatrist and 2 other other people present and they just took notes.

I think you need to have a diagnoses made with more then 1 professional present, so there is a agreed conclusion.

It was pretty much some basic questions upon how you feel in certain situations and why.

It also helps to have someone with you who knew you as a child, I had my mother with me and they asked her questions for around 1 hour out of the 3.

There isn't anything major to get worried about (easier said then done I know) and you can always take a break if you find it too much for you.

All the best with your assessment.