Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

Stimming worse when not at school

Sorry, I know ive posted LOADS recently, Ive just got so many questions to ask!

Jack is stimming more since school finished on friday, ive noticed this before that on weekends and holidays he stimms a lot more than he does during the week when hes at school all day. Not sure why he feels the need to stim more. I guess it has something to do with routine change. Anyone else find there LOs the same?

Yes, my middle son really struggles with the change in structure and his behaviour does tend to be more challenging during the school holidays. We do find it helps if we let him know what we'll be doing - he likes us to tell him what we'll be doing 'after bed', then 'after dinner' and so on. Maybe some kind of picture timetable might help your son, with him being younger. Each kid's different, but some idea of what will happen, some kind of structure may help.

Maybe he's irritated because he cannot anticipate what will happen on weekends. A timetable might be too much, but some sort of plans for the weekend (that he knows) might help (caution: a change of plans will be a real challenge).