justine1

Sensory Integration disorder or ASD

Just curious to know if anyone here,or any family have had a dx of sensory integration disorder as opposed to an ASD dx?

My mum has a dx of sensory integration disorder she has also got many other issues with food where she is only eating the "free from" ranges as she suffers from many different complaints after eating eggs,gluten,lactose,wheat etc. Not sure there is a link between that and my two having ASD but just interested.

Having read up on sensory integration disorder I notice the similarities to ASD and wondered how the would differentiate between the two especially in girls/women who usually adapt to socities norms so the more obvious ASD behaviours may be very subtle.

Yes I did sort of wonder the same question for SPD, and also for speech disorders. Because if you have sensory processing difficulties, and appear deaf, or mono-process, or have problems understanding language or putting together your own speech, then alot of that is the same as ASD behaviour.

Your mother may well be ASD. I don't think there are many, if any, on the spectrum that have no sensory processing problems at all. I do have some sensory issues [hearing, tactile etc], but I don't have the social or imagination difficulties. So I think that is where it is more ASD rather than a language or sensory issue. Because you don't need language to have typical friendships, and it is the same for imagination [and predicting outcomes etc]. So if those problems are also there, then it is probably ASD as well.

Also obsessions, rituals and routines are more ASD. BUT they could also have a sensory base as well.

Edited by Sally44

I think you can qualify for both I feel my symptoms fit both criterion personally.

Everyone I know on the spectrum has some form of sensory processing difficulties but it is possible to have sensory processing difficulties and not be on the spectrum. A friends son has a diagnosis of SPD and he isn't on the spectrum as he doesn't have the social and communication difficulties inherent in ASD.