Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Support Group Ideas please!

Hi folks. I am looking into setting up support groups locally and will be asking parents what would be helpful to them. It sometimes helps if I can break these down into categories, so wonder if you can chuck some ideas my way?

What help/support have you found useful? Do you have regular meetings, or rely on this forum? Is local involvement important?

If you haven't felt adequately supported or lack provision in your area- what would you like to have?

Thanks in anticipation!

Guest flutter

support for siblings!!

someone coming in and talking you thourgh what is hapening, sharing coping ideas, jsut being able to moan to those who understand :wallbash:

just space, where you know kids are safe and you dont have to wonder where and what they doin

we havent got anything locally i rely on this forum and have a very close friend who is furthar down track than me and is fantastically supportive.

I belong to a local Support group,which is superb.It was set up in 2000 and has gone from strength to strength.

We have;-

Coffee mornins/evenings

A lending library of books,videos,DVD's,CD-roms relating to ASD;'s

Phone support

Talks by various speakers

Sibling support groups

Outings for families

parties/fireworks/picnics. Etc.

We started with coffee mornings and grew from there.In the coming weeks we have a BBQ at a local country park,a Siblings' Drama workshop and a trip to Legoland Windsor.We have also hired a local Arts Centre and put on a private showing of a film.We recently has an Autism advocate to talk about planning for your child's future.

I'd start infomally and see how things develop.We're now a registerd charity and support over 100 families.

The group is a real lifeline for me but its horses for courses and what suits one person may not suit another.xx

I think one of the most helpful things is a catalogue of resources. Nobody involved with our family professionally has suggested any services we might access, other than NAS, so everything I've found I've had to get myself or by word of mouth - often by seeing something similar mentioned on an online group such as this and being prompted to look for the same kind of thing locally. I'd find it really useful if a support group could let me know of play schemes, therapy services, resources providing outings and activities etc because otherwise you just don't know where these things are unless you spend an enormous amount of time looking for them, and even then you often only come across them by accident.

Karen

x

I have to agree that this would be really useful. I don't know if regional help has ever been suggested as a forum and whether it's possible to put it on here?

Shona.

A few months ago I joined up and became an official member of my local NAS branch.

The branch:

*has regular informal drop-in meetings for parents and children (usually at a child friendly venue)

*has a lending library

*organises outings, such as visits to a theme part, swimming sessions, soft play venue, woodland walks etc. N.B. the soft play venue is hired solely for the use of the members children and the cost of the swimming sessions is usually subsidised by a local charity.

*organises (when feasible) information sessions by various people, such as SALTs, LEA officers, PP services.

*produces a monthly newsletter to update parents with local and national news.

We are fortunate enough to have amongst our members an NAS trained advocate.

Edited by Helen