Sign in to follow this  
smileyK

CBT third time lucky?!

Can CBT successfully work when you have AS aswell to treat depression and anxiety issues aswell as low self -esteem this be third time I had CBT sessions third time lucky?!

Can CBT successfully work when you have AS aswell to treat depression and anxiety issues aswell as low self -esteem this be third time I had CBT sessions third time lucky?!

CBT- cognitive behavioural therapy is supposed to be useful for behavioural stuff and reports suggest it is particularly helpful for ASD issues.

I was supposed to be doing it at the end of last year but I have put it off until all the testing is complete and I know where I stand, but I have already identified negative patterns within myself that no matter how much I try to remember not to get into the same loop again, it always happens, so this is for the experts, when testing is finished, until that point, there is no point.

Cbt has been useful for me in the past. It is quite an objective kind of therapy, which makes it easier to understand for someone that has trouble connecting with their emotional side. I think the key thing is to see it as the start of a lifelong journey of learning about yourself and not to expect many huge revelations but a gradual shift to becoming a more rounded person and not as depressed.

If you can get into the habit of filling in your thought journal or thought records this will really help you and don't forget to look back and note your achievements as you go along.

Good luck with it.

I've had a lot of CBT and it has been very interesting but of no use at to me at all and i can't think why that would benefit anyone with AS. WE are different and we toddle along to see the psychologist who is just this person who has got a degree having learned all the theories and wants to make you "better". Wants to find a slot for you in society so you won't feel so back when the next time you open your mouth you get called wierdo or something similar.

Self esteme comes from within....you can't just go off and see a psychologist and get self esteme, you have to develop it yourself. Self love is the first step.

Realise what you have gone through and congratulate yourself..have a party. Realise that fitting in will never work....We are different, we are glorious and why would we want to dilute ourselves by trying to be accepted.

History shows us that the oppressed minorities, when unified begin to dominate...so let us unifey and work together to create the sublime.We can do anything....we are allowed no limitations so let us stop trying to conform; and start creating.