Sa Skimrande

Disability/difficulty in real terms in the UK ?

So what is this, this ASD, diagnosi say AS for example what is it in the UK, is it a disability or is it a difficulty and what are the differences between the two in real terms ?

And in real terms I am meaning access to services and of course that old horror; employment ?

Good question Sa Skimrande. But I don't think there is an easy answer

The medics would not class AS as a disability. They see a "disability" as somebody who is physically "dis - abled". Tell an AS person s)he is not disabled and expect a smack in the face. The condition is very dis-abling to some individuals. There isn't even the proper help for proper dis-abled people - i.e. those in wheelchairs who have to get about on public transport etc.

AS is most certainly a "difficulty" - I think we could all agree on that one.

But then...where does the term "difference" come into the equation...?

(runs for cover now....)

Is known as neurological or developmental disability.

Dunno about neurological.... Gross neurological function is normal, i.e. neurones/synapses etc fire as normal...but the control is probably different and out of sync perhaps.

AS people certainly develop late and then catch up....

I've been thinking a lot about this question since you posted it... and each time I've gone to reply I've thought, 'no, keep thinking about it more'.

In real terms falling anywhere on the autistic spectrum is officially considered a disability isn't it?

However, to the individual is it only a disability if they see it as such? I guess in one sense it is very much a disability in the sense that we have more than our fair share of struggles through life and the obvious difficulties with communication etc. Then of course there are perceived benefits to being on the spectrum in that traits can mean that we may have special talents, for example like some who post here who can master several foreign languages very easily, those who can make beautiful jewellery, those who can write... the list goes on. Just because the world may see us as disabled, doesn't mean to say we have to. We should embrace our differences and try to focus on the positives we all have within ourselves...

That, of course, is easier said than done!

As a mum of an AS son thats exactly how my son sees his diagnosis/disability............he would and never has told anyone or claimed to be disabled.At school he would use the term "special needs ".........but now he has left he no longer uses this.I still see his AS in him he gets very dismayed if his plans change, he does,nt have a social life like most 18 yr olds.However he fills his life with other stuff and is out cycling most weekends.My feelings as a mum are how the ASD can impact when you guys become depressed , then I feel it becomes much more disabling , my son can become embroiled in over thinking and analyising stuff if you factor depression into that you also double or treble the disability factor...........hope that made sense .