Sign in to follow this  
sarahjane

unable to find anything!

Hi, I don't know if this is as related or not but my son, 6 is incapable of finding anything at all. He can often remember where he left some small toy 3 yrs ago but is incabaple of remembering where he left his shoes 1 hr ago! If you send him to get something even if you give him v precise directions he can not see it! Often it is in front of his nose! For example he just wanted something to eat so i said he could have a pear and descibed where they were on the bench, and despite going several times he could not see them, i had to get them. And theywere exactly where i said.

I don't know if it is the language i use or something else. He is also being investigated for dyslexia and has ? dyspraxia. Has anyone else has this problem?

:) Yep I,m nodding in agreement my son 10, and AS/ASD can,t find anything, to the point of looking at it and not even seeing it :wacko: .He,ll look in a drawer and swear blind he can,t find batteries , I,ll look and there it is. Also can,t be asked to do more than one thing at a time ie clean his teeth and then find his shoes.He,ll only remember to do one thing. On a positive note he makes a lovely cup of tea :thumbs: (if bribed).

My daughter can't find things if there is too much clutter, eg she will look in the fridge for the marg and just not see it as there are too many things in there. Unfortunately we do not live in the tidiest of houses. We are slowly trying to de - clutter for all our sakes. She is very happy in her grandparents' house which always looks like an advert for Ideal Homes, spacious, junk free, coordinated, a place for everything. I aspire to live in such an environment... :lol:

We have the exact same scenario as Kathryn.

The small (!) difference is that there are too many precious ornaments in the 'ideal home', I am a gibbering wreck (nothing new there, then )

At least my 5 yr old knows the biscuit tin will aways be in the same place at their house. In ours, it's usually hidden somewhere cos it's been emptied by the two scavengers I seemed to have raised !

Am thinking of now excusing the mess in our house by saying it was done by interlopers (not too much of a lie )

Well, we DO have a tidy house with a place for everything and everything in its place (it's not that clean though, but that's another story). It doesn't help matters for James though because even though his room is organised with boxes for everything, he just tips the whole lot out onto the floor so he still can't find what he's looking for. Every now and again we have a tidy and put them all back, but it's back to 'where's the carpet?' within an hour.

Karen

x

Hi

I am with you on this one. I have a husband who can't find anything and if something isn't exactly where I say it is doesn't really know where else to look. It is generally assumed to be a defect in my tidying up abilities and the fact that I move things! However DS has inherited this tendency to find the part off a long forgotten toy yet has no idea where he left his shoes/coat and cannot follow instructions to find things.

Yesterday he wanted a toy that folds down and that I had put away. He found the drawer i said it was in. Took the pieces of toy out and then came downstairs saying he couldn't find it. I went up stairs and found the things on the carpet next to the drawer. I can onlu imagine that because the toy was folded down he didn't associate it with what he was looking for.

I regularly have to play hunt the car keys, sunglasses, mobile phone and usually resort to getting DS his stuff unless I am feeling mentally patient and determined to succeed!

It never stops amazing me that other people have two year olds who can find and put on all the clothes they need to wear outside and can find and open the lids of toy boxes.

I'm exactly the same. I said to Mum this morning that I couldn't find a CD, that I had put it on the bed but was unable to find it now. Mum pointed to the bed and said "is that it?" and it was. It was right there in front of me all the time yet it may have been invisible :wacko:

Hi

My son does this also. When we had him assessed by an Occupational Therapist she asked this very question. She said this relates to a Visual Processing difficulty and has 'some difficulty regulating his visual system'. Now as to what that means......

yes, i am agreeeing with you now lol. My son cannot remember where he put his shoes even if he just took them off. also some mornings he will take off his pyjamas, then put them back on again instead of school trousers!

and hes 12 lol B)

Hi

Glad I'm not the only one! Our house is v untidy and i wonder if it is because when h looks at something he can't shut his mind to all the other things in his visual field- if that makes sense.And all the clutter confuses him. Maybe i should try to be more organised!

some mornings he will take off his pyjamas, then put them back on again instead of school trousers!

That sounds very familiar! James gets caught up in one of his monologues and can't do the two things at once. Multi-tasking is way beyond him!

Karen

x