smileyK

is it possible???

Yes, definitely! Your body makes its own MDMA ("E"). Dopamine is the reward chemical and adrenaline and seratonin are related to it. Artificial Es raise seratonin levels but users lose natural control of it and get a downer afterwards, making it more addictive.

I don't know if such addiction is more prevalent or more pronounced among people with ASD. I would like to know if someone has studied that.

How we get our natural highs might differ from people without ASD.

The most healthy buzz I get is from delivering an issued report at work. It means I've passed an objective and the burden of outstanding jobs is reduced. I'm sure I'm not alone here in not liking too many tasks at once!

It can be good to do sport to get a high. I wonder if sport helps improve control of it. Perhaps sport should be recommended for that reason. I'm fairly sedentary at work and in hobbies (computers, electronics, LEGO, music) so I have to make an effort to bother to exercise.

Mark

Certainly is thats why people do things that please the dopamine receptors in the brain and when I'm in a 'high' mood I can quite easily spend a months money in one go not thinking about the consequences because I like the rush.

I would say our highs do differ from 'others' out there as get hooked more easy! @ phantom sneeze - u looked into bi-polar? As they spend lot of money without thinking within "high" mood?

I would say our highs do differ from 'others' out there as get hooked more easy! @ phantom sneeze - u looked into bi-polar? As they spend lot of money without thinking within "high" mood?

I've got a diagnoses of bipoler, my moods are stable now but before I was very up and down, mostly down but the first manic episode got me diagnosed with bipolar.

Wish mine were classed as 'stable' never feel 'equalled' out as such hopefully sometime soon will come to a full blown conclusion -of some kind of an answer! XKLX

I have always got a "natural high" from achievement......or if you prefer I can be a work-aholic. When I am in a work phase I simply can't switch off........the rush from achieving, especially if it is within my range of obsessions, is definitely addictive. It takes some sort of intervention to break the cycle. With my main obsession being sailing/working on wooden sailing boats, it is often the weather that intervenes.

I read many years ago that humans have a natural instinct to repeat behaviour that is pleasurable....part of our nature.....so I suppose that is a sort of addiction......and if the behaviour in question is pleasurable, and repeated, then it eventually becomes an addiction I suppose?

@ water girl - can see where coming from and what trying to explain pattern of hobby and enjoyment can quickly rapidly fast to other things like 'being hooked' on that hobby where takes over control also becomes fills 'normal' natural "high" experience with hobby instead is this bad,dangerous unstable as feel closely connected /linked to my "high" mood pattern? Could this be why? The reason? Because the 'normal' high needs "topping up" the levels or doubling as isn't enough anymore so leaves me unbalanced in all senses of the word?! XKlX

I have always got a "natural high" from achievement......or if you prefer I can be a work-aholic. When I am in a work phase I simply can't switch off........the rush from achieving, especially if it is within my range of obsessions, is definitely addictive. It takes some sort of intervention to break the cycle. With my main obsession being sailing/working on wooden sailing boats, it is often the weather that intervenes.

I read many years ago that humans have a natural instinct to repeat behaviour that is pleasurable....part of our nature.....so I suppose that is a sort of addiction......and if the behaviour in question is pleasurable, and repeated, then it eventually becomes an addiction I suppose?

Same here I got a natural high from getting my 2:1 in autism.