bains

adolescent mood swings/severe anxiety

I posted last week about my son who has been diagnosed at 15. Well I went back to the psychiatrist who told me that because he was diagnised late( the previous psychiatrist when I came out wth concerns in 2011 erroneously took ASD as borderline personality disorder which has now be overturned) and,the fact he has anger issues and severe anxiety makes it difficult to treat him although we will try with CBTin one and half months as there is a waiting list, if he engages.

The psychiatrist did suggest Prozac to my son who has refused it.

In the meantime I am really worried that if in adolescence he does something extreme with the anger and mood swings either to hurt himself or myself he could end up getting sectioned or something.

What social work help and support could I get if in a crisis situation such that I am in with him now. I look after him on my own and his father is in France and am finding the stress of it too much.He got particularly bad since my mother died six months ago and she lived with us.

Thank you for any advise.

bains

Thanks Alexis for your reply

A part of it could be a part of it is as well the dynamics change at home.

can CBT work on its own for adolescence.

Edited by trekster

I found 'Asperger's Syndrome and Anxiety - A guide to successful stress management' by Nick Dubin to be easy to read and helpful for me. It describes many reasons as to why anxiety is a common problem for people with Aspergers and suggests different strategies to manage anxiety. The author advocates CBT but also getting to know/understand and put in place good personal strategies to 'self help'.

Edited by Lyndalou

@ Bains - I have on/off in the personal situation your son is in - been closed to being sectioned due to erratic ,wreckless behaviour ( physically aggressive /violent) towards parents and myself harmful dangerous acts I was officially diagnosed at 14 years old! And I lost both my nans within 7 months between each other! It 'winded' me "hit" me so hard trying to work through it step by step! Maybe make a memory book with him (photos etc) so can look back and smile! I did benefit from grief counselling to work through thoughts ,feelings and emotions to talk it through with "someone" has he showed signs of depression harming you or himself?! Grief is 'powerful' 'strong' emotions which can pull you down rapidly so maybe can get him to connect/link to pyschologist to talk through "feelings" he may be feeling it "normal" common XKLX