Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

Problems with remembering names.

I've been told that my son has problems remembering names. In school he'll remember a name and EVERY child in his class is named thateven though when he comes home to me, he'll name each child by (I'm assuming) there correct names b/c they are different and not just one name if you KWIM!

Also, when he comes out from school, he'll call me Miss and then say 'I mean Mum'! LOL Same goes for in school, his helper has been called Mum a few times too. LOL

He knows family memebers names well although he does get my brother and my brother in law mixed up and call them the other's name even though I know he knows their correct names.

Why?? and can anyone else relate to this please??

Hello TM,

I think this is fairly common for a lot of children when they are young. I remember both my children getting mixed up with names and often confusing me for 'Miss' and vise versa, especially when they were tired and fed up after having a hard day at school.

I agree, my eldest two still sometimes call me 'grandma' when they come back from spending the weekend (or perhaps it's a freudian slip and I do look that aged !)

I do it occasionally, and have been known to call someone totally inappropriate 'darling' !!!(call all my kids this, picked up from time living in Norfolk) No wonder I get such funny looks !

wac

thats one of my little guys biggest problems, he remembers mummy, daddy, our dogs name and thats about it!

the way we get around it is to have pictures of everyone :wacko: friends, family etc, print and laminate. now when he's trying to talk to his teacher, or me, about someone else, he can just point to that person. it takes the pressure off him. mind you, you need a ###### big bag to haul it about everywhere!

:rolleyes:

My sons nursery years and first year of school were a nightmare at Christmas as he couldn't remember anyones name. He usually still needs a picture of them to remember them all, but he has developed a better way of understanding names.

He used to get confused with why 2 people could have the same name (label) so now he uses full names, first name and surname, sometimes if he knows it the middle name aswell, including when refering to himself. Everyone gets the full name, each Grandparent as he has a few inc Great Grandparents we use Grandad Mick etc etc just to make it easier for him.

Just a thought, but does he really attach the names to the faces of the people in his class, or has he just memorised the names that are being read out every morning when they take the register? Does he list the children in his class in a particular order?

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Can totally relate to this one.

I've never been able to remember names (people, places, etc.) I always assumed there was part of the brain that dealt with proper names and I was away when they handed it out. This only happens with people and places I know, bizarrely. Film stars, bands, politicians, authors - no problem. Having said that I met the guy who wrote Watership Down once, and now i haven't a clue what he's called. :blink:

Com's just the same, but without any of the coping strategies. His usual greeting is "Hello, whoever you are" or "Hello, people" if there's more than one. He's getting better with aunts and uncles, etc lately, but still isn't sure.

In primary school he had 16 kids in his class. After 6 years he knew the names of 8.

Nowadays, the main problem is LSAs. Not only does he not know their names, but often doesn't notice if they're male/female/black/asian/white/even there at all :hypno:

As to solutions, sorry can't help. Photos could be useful as suggested above, but not in my experience (for instance the only person (including myself) whose eye colour I know is Zemanski) :wub:

Oh, and as an ex primary teacher, Zemanski says the Mum/Miss thing happens with all kids, particularly if they have 1 to 1 teaching. So not to worry on that one. It just implies a close relationship - which should be a good sign, surely.

Good luck, "whoever you are" :P

Thank everyone. :thumbs:

Simon - I'm not really sure as I'm not there with him but I will ask his helper to watch out for this in Sept. Mind you, it'll be a whole new class of new children! Ohhh, happiness!!! :wub: On a plus side, he has the same teacher as he did last year!!! :)