luteman

Just diagnosed and new on here

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and thought I would post on here as I've recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. I'm 42 and at first getting the diagnosis was a relief as it helped me understand a lot of the things I've found difficult through my life. Lately though I've been having a lot of mixed emotions about it all but I suppose that is normal. At the moment I'm waiting to get some help with my social anxiety (social anxiety disorder was also diagnosed) as I find it really hard interacting with other people. Outside of work I spend my time on my interests which are solitary things (I like playing guitar, playing lute, birdwatching, collecting maps, cycling). I've tried some group things based around my interests but it doesn't really work out and I really don't know what to say to people or how to interact in groups (anything more than one other person gets tricky and even one to one is often hard). I've always been really shy and tend to not really say anything. I think this may be a coping strategy that I have adopted from an early age and I do feel much happier on my own. I am married and my wife is really supportive and I also work with people with learning disabilities. I think it helps in my work that I can relate well to a lot of the people I support as quite a few have autism.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some of my thoughts and it would be good to interact with some of you on here.

Hi, and welcome. I'm 40 and trying to push for a Aspergers diagnosis - I also suffer from social anxiety, and really struggle in social situations, though i'm trying to do something about that. I'm better online as I can type much better than I can speak - so I have the ability, just struggle to open up in offline situations. Its good you can help others with similar difficulties, and something positive to focus on and take your mind off your diagnosis.

Hello there,

I got my diagnosis at age 37 -- 5 years ago. For about one year I went through a period of what I (looking back) would call grief. I spent some time reading every book about autism which I could get, but that's much less time-consuming by now.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am pleased that you have got your diagnosis. There are quite a few members on here that have got a diagnosis later in life or are awaiting one. Hope you find this forum helpful.

Hi and welcome, congratulations on your diagnosis.