Sign in to follow this  
samdixon29

Boy needs explanation!!!

Evening all..... I'm just looking for a bit of advice. My DS (age 9) has suddenly started asking LOADS of questions surrounding his autism..... he's hf, so we were expecting the day to come, but now it has.... I've slightly freaked!...... Why? How long have I had it? Why?...... he wants to talk to people about it but I don't have a "go to" person that he can speak to and I don't want him to just approach someone and put them on the spot!! And worse than that get a negative reaction! I want to help him understand..... I just don't know how???

There are a lot of helpful books that are available from the NAS directed at children explaining their autism in positive terms. Some are in the form of novels but there are other, more informative, fact-based books, depending on what approach your child would find more helpful. Its a good starting point to sit down with your lad and read them together.

~ Mel ~

Thanks, That's pretty much what I was thinking..... although I've been and looked at the list and there's quite a few! Just trying to figure which one will be best.....thinking fact based!!

Thanks, That's pretty much what I was thinking..... although I've been and looked at the list and there's quite a few! Just trying to figure which one will be best.....thinking fact based!!

Yes, there are a lot aren't there! I went along the fiction lines when my lad was younger, I think there's a range called the Blue Bottle Mysteries, if I remember correctly. There are some nice simple fact-based ones as well though. It's hard to decide when you can't actually flick through them, though, isn't it.

~ Mel ~

You could also contact the NAS and get on their list for any help seminars, or to be informed of ASD speakers. As he gets older he may want to go to a talk by someone else who has an ASD. I'm thinking of Wendy Lawson or similar?

Also try to find out about any parent support groups in your area, as you may meet other families and their children via it.

I have a son who has ASD and I've always told him what he has and how it will effect him, I don't keep it from him because he needs to learn about it and how to control certain behaviours in his life so he can deal with it. He's never felt like an outcast and no one has every made him feel that way either.

... My DS (age 9) has suddenly started asking LOADS of questions surrounding his autism..... he's hf, so we were expecting the day to come, ...

I got my dx only at age 37, so I cannot compare directly, but my awareness of people having different mindsets ("theory of mind") dates from my age 15. And that's not due to lack of intelligence: I'm in the 98th percentile and have a professional doctorate.

So, I'd make a guess that he's confronted with his condition by others, who should possibly stop doing this, at least at this young age.

Primary 6 at school did" I am special "course. It starts by talking about human bodies and goes into which bits do what and sometimes things don't always work.you can probely get a lot of advise and reading material from NAS the subject course includes sexual health and development, talkijg about people with different disabilities ,leading up to people with autism. We were advised if he asked questions you don't know, say I don't know now, but I will find out for you by next Friday, depending on the day he asks, then that gives you time to find out and if you can get reading material for him to read as well. Mine is 13 now, they were talking about the MMR and the measles on the radio and how some people feared the link with autism, so I explained, his autism, is genetically inherited and not to worry about what he might hear. Its an example on how aware mine is now and me guarding against mis information of autism