JeanneA

Glen's move to local care home next Wednesday

Hi guys, not long now until Glen moves much nearer home, so looking forward to seeing him more often. I really hope this is a permanent move and that he doesn't have to be moved again.

My husband and I are going to Birmingham on Sunday to see Glen and to bring his bike back. We thought it would be nice to see him one more time before he moves as we won't be able to see him for about 4 or 5 weeks in his new home as he needs time to settle in. I will let you know how our visit goes. :-) He is still very happy and relaxed so long may that continue when he moves.

Hi Mel I'm so looking forward to seeing Glen on Sunday, I didn't think we would see him again for some time so I'm pleased we are going. :-) Glen had a check up on his eye yesterday and he does have some bleeding in the eye but it doesn't effect his sight and it should clear up on it's own the doctor said, but he will have another check up in a few months but that will have to be at the local hospital.

Hi, went to see Glen today. He wasn't as happy as he was the last time I saw him, but he did relax and enjoyed the snacks I took. I'm feeling nervous about Wednesday, just hope all goes ok and Glen will be ok when he gets to his new home.

Very disappointed with the condition the bike was in, we only bought it 2 years ago, both brake cables need replacing, the paintwork is scratched and the chain is extremely rusty, this all happened at the previous care homes not at the hospital. :-(

Edited by JeanneA

Good luck with the move tomorrow, hope all goes well and you can have a happier visit with Glen soon.

Did the staff store the bike outside? Maybe there wasn't room to store it inside.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel thanks for your message. The bike was stored inside a shed at the hospital. However at the care homes I think it was left outside a lot which doesn't surprise me.

I rang last night to be told Glen had been a bit anxious in the morning so they took him out and he arrived back quite happy in the afternoon. He is obviously aware that something is gong to happen. Today they are taking him out to a safari park which he should enjoy as he's been fine with visits to safari parks in the past. Tomorrow he is leaving sometime in the morning and his nurse is going with him which is good news. They are stopping for lunch on the way and arriving at the care home mid afternoon.

Has he already met the staff at the new care home? I'm sure you'll be anxious, but hopefully he will settle in time and be happy there. Not easy to be patient, but try not to fret too much.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel yes I am anxious it's constantly on my mind today, I'm wondering how Glen's trip to the safari park has worked out and how he will be in the morning when he knows he is moving on again.

Yes Glen has met the 2 main members of the care home, one of which will be Glen's link worker and of course he knows the manager. I met these 2 staff members on Saturday and they were lovely. Tania, who will be Glen's link worker is a very lively, bubbly, happy lady which is just the type of person Glen needs around him. I think Glen will definitely be in very good hands, so I do have a good feeling about this placement. I'm so pleased I spent time with the 2 ladies on Saturday.

Just had an email from Glen's nurse Alice, Glen had a great time at the safari park, he couldn't stop smiling apparently :D and has come back totally exhausted and has just had his supper and is going to his room.

The home manager has just rung me to say, Glen didn't arrive today, it's now tomorrow the hospital had the 16th down in the diary. So fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow.

Oh dear, hope you haven't wasted too much time fretting today and hope you don't fret too much tomorrow as well!

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel I have been fretting all day today, so you can imagine how I felt when I heard Glen wasn't going until tomorrow. I was working this morning so it did take my mind off things a bit, but tomorrow I'm home all day! Just hope all goes right tomorrow.

Glen arrived at his new care home this afternoon around 2 p.m. He was anxious initially and did try to run out the door to go back in the van! However he did settle down and was fine when the hospital staff left. Glen did a puzzle with the help of a staff member at the home who he has taken to already, the manager told me over the phone. :-) Glen enjoyed a few cups of tea and ate all his dinner tonight. The manager is going to speak to me again tomorrow.

A good start for Glen. Hope it's put your mind a rest a little, at least it is under way now and the waiting is over. Hope things get better and better for you all.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel thanks very much for your comments. It has put my mind at rest I just hope that Glen settles in and is happy there. I will keep you updated.

Glen slept very well last night and has been relaxed today. The staff and manager took Glen out for lunch, which he enjoyed very much. So far, so good, but very early days as yet!

I've just rung to see how Glen is and spoke to a lovely lady called Pam, who I was told by the manager Glen had taking a liking to, he giggles at her voice apparently :-) Pam told me that Glen's had a good day, went shopping had pictures of things to get and Glen picked out the items correctly by the pictures which is great. Glen does enjoy shopping. As for the mornings, they are now getting Glen up a bit later so that he doesn't go back to his room afterwards, and it appears to be working out very well. So all good news so far. Going to visit Glen in 2 weeks time if all is well, the manager is going to let me know. :-)

Really pleased Glen is settling in well.

Thanks Alexis it is going well so far. :-)

That's really positive news, Jeanne, you must be very relieved to hear it's going so well. Early days, obviously, but sounds like he's got off to a really good start. Hope things go from strength to strength.

~ Mel ~

Thanks Mel yes things seem to be going well. I can't wait to see him and also for him to come home again, it's been so long since he's been here, over 6 months. Still one day at a time it's important Glen settles in properly first.