mandi

HELP needed 11 year old son

hi everyone

my 11 year old as just been diagnosed with aspergers with a bit of dyspraxia he seems to have got all the good things in aspergers and not realy any behaviour problems apart from refusing to wear such of items of clothes its like all of a sudden everything is dangerous could this be him trying it on or its this aspergers and as any one got any ideas. we dont want him to think he can get away with things. as you can see my husband and i are learners so any advice would be appreciated

thanks

mandi

Edited by trekster

Thats a sign of sensitivity to certain types of clothing. For me jeans would itch so i would use cotton trousers.Tights itch so use leggings. Try on clothes before buying to see if he can tolerate the texture

Edited by trekster

... just been diagnosed with aspergers ...

its like all of a sudden everything is dangerous

could this be him trying it on or its this aspergers ...

For the time being, I'd say it's a normal reaction to such a big change in his life. He has to re-assess all his experiences in the (new) light of his diagnosis.

It took me about one year (!) at the time, and I was already 37 and we had already gotten our son's dx.

It might help to keep the changes in his routines at a minimum for some time.

agree with both points mentioned above. I would say reactive anxiety to his diagnosis.

hi thanks for all your advice we are doing the normal routine the only thing what as changed is at school hes gets help with his sats

and he starts high school in sept in which he will have to use an computer. upto now he doesnt need anymore help.

thanks again

mandi

Edited by trekster

Pleased your son is doing well.

you probably know this answer by now as only just got chance to replying to your post as been so busy with new job, work but refusing wear such type/texture, material of clothing would be likely highly possible down to sensory issues and is quite common factor within ASD. so is pointing sensory in that direction he may just have sensory issues on it's own. hope that's some informative and not too late. i have both AS & Dyspraxia and sensory issues may be down to just the dyspraxia acting alone but worth investigating/checking out further so rule out 'anything else' to give you peace of mind more than anything.

XKLX

Edited by trekster