JeanneA

Glen update

Hi folks, a quick update on how Glen's getting on in his new home. It will be 4 weeks tomorrow that Glen moved in.

I have just had a call from Mel, the manager to say how well Glen is getting on, he was unwell at the weekend and did hit himself a few times on the face and was off his food, but since Monday he's fine again and smiling a lot. He's enjoying going out every day and smiles during the journey and whilst out walking. Being out is what motivates Glen the most. He has 'taken to' 2 or 3 of the carers in particular due to their chirpy/jolly personality which Glen finds funny.

After having problems with obtaining a swing, it has now arrived and just has to be put up which is good news. Hubby and I are going to see Glen on Saturday, I will let you know how the visit goes. :-)

Sounds really positive, Jeanne. Hope you have a lovely visit. It's lovely that they are really catering to what makes Glen happy and it must be very reassuring that they care so much about him. Hope he can start enjoying his swing soon.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel thanks for your reply. I think this home will be a permanent one for Glen. The manager Mel is so nice and very understanding of Glen's needs. He has 2:1 in support when going out and either 1:1 or 2:1 in the care home. Mel said how motivated Glen is when going out, she said he's always smiling in the vehicle and on the walks, they've noticed that he's glanced with a smile on his face at young ladies whilst out and about :-) Yes the swing should be up in the next couple of weeks, Glen will have a lot of pleasure out of that.

Does he still enjoy his bike rides too? I'm trying to persuade my son to give swimming another go. He won't do any exercise other than the odd walk and he can't ride a bike and doesn't want to cooperate with learning. How did you get Glen to learn to ride a bike?

~ Mel ~

Hi, I went to see Glen this afternoon in his new care home, just a short visit, it was a very positive experience. Glen looked really well and seemed pleased to see me & my husband. I took him some colouring items and threading shapes which he enjoys doing and of course some snacks. Glen enjoyed eating a large whispa bar at the table. He half smiled a few times but did also look a little anxious at times. I made sure not to give too much eye contact as i know it's something not to do too much. I gave him a kiss at the end and I was sad to go but I know he's in very good hands. I met another carer called Pam, whom I'd spoken to on the phone during the week, she is a lovely lady. I look forward to seeing Glen again on Tuesday week as it is his review meeting.

Great news that you had such a nice visit and it must be a relief not to have to do so much travelling too. Hope all continues to go well and you have another nice visit on Tuesday.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel yes it was a very positive visit indeed, only took about 35 minutes to get there. I am looking forward very much to seeing Glen again on Tuesday week, it's actually myself and my husband's 10th Wedding Anniversary on that day. :-)

Hi Mel, Glen isn't having bike rides as yet, we have his bike here. The staff wanted to do one thing at a time with Glen as it's still early days. He loves long walks which he is having very regularly. As for getting to ride a bike, I can't remember that well, but I was with my first husband then (Glen's dad) and to be honest it was him that helped Glen learn to ride a bike. Glen did learn very quickly though, I guess it was probably due to him enjoying it. I hope you can get your son to learn to ride a bike it is a good thing I think if our youngsters can, it's a good physical activity. :-)

Congrats for the wedding anniversary hope glenn continues to prosper.

Thanks trekster.

It is nice to see the person that you have been speaking to on the phone. It's good to hear what the staff feel as to how Glen's getting on/settling in as they are the people that look after Glen on a daily basis.

Glen's been there just over 4 weeks now and I have realised that staff are not 'pushing him' to do too much at the moment they don't want to push him too much too soon but I hope that they do start encouraging him a bit more particularly in the mornings as Glen does need encouragement/prompts as he won't do anything he's always been like that. They get him up about 8 am so he can have his medication & go to the toilet, then leave him in his room until he gets up properly around 10am. I will bring this up at the review meeting Tuesday week.

Do you guys think I'm worrying too much regarding Glen not doing a lot at the moment? After all they do take him out daily which motivates him greatly, loves long walks and shopping.

I am more settled after seeing Glen yesterday, I can see that he is fairly relaxed there, he hasn't 'kicked off' and he did not hit himself at all during our visit. Looking forward to seeing Glen again in just over a week's time. I hope he can come home for a visit soon.

Edited by JeanneA

My personal view is that it's perfectly fine to let him get ready in the morning in a relaxed and unhurried way. If he doesn't get sorted until 10am, I think that is perfectly fine. He has a long day ahead with plenty of time to do all sorts of things and I don't see any benefit to hurrying in the morning. If he had somewhere to get to at a certain time, that would be different, but there is a lot to be said for having a slow start to the morning. My lad gets up around 9, but takes about an hour and a half to have his breakfast. By the time he's had his shower it's lunchtime but that's fine with us. We have all afternoon and evening to find things to fill the time and there is no rush. If he was up and ready to go at 8am, there would just be more time to try and find things to do with.

If he's happy, I'd say don't worry about it.

~ Mel ~

Thanks very much Mel, it makes perfect sense what you are saying. Glen does have a packed afternoon every day which he enjoys so much, so taking his time in the mornings if that helps him to stay and happy then that's how it should be.

Hi, yes I agree with this, no pressure is good! A slow start to the day can be the right thing. My lad goes to college in the afternoons 1-4pm and this is fine with us.

I am remembering the days when he had to be up and out by 8am for the school bus to take him to his special school.. how stressful and pointless it all was. A relaxed way of being has to be better for anyones mental health. Heres to late mornings :wine:

I guess you have to ask yourself what would you rather they were doing with him. We all need some breathing space sometimes, don't we, I know I do. :)

~ Mel ~

Hi ladies, yes we all need breathing space I quite agree :thumbs: Love your emotives Lisa :rolleyes: Yes I to remember the bad old days of trying to get Glen to go to school, I'm so glad that is over now. He is happy and settled in his new surroundings which is great, long may it continue.

Well done for pushing to get him nearer to you, long may his happy days continue.

Thanks trekster and thanks for your message regarding merging my posts, no problem :-)