Sign in to follow this  
Skaro7

First Sign of Madness?

Hi,

Just wanting to gauge some opinion on talking to yourself, or talking/thinking out loud. All my life I've spoken to myself. I don't hear voices so I'm very aware that it's me I'm talking to.

I'm not 100% sure that it is a trait that is more common with those who have Asperger's Syndrome like I have, as I'm no expert and have only been diagnosed in the last few months. I'm wondering if it is indirectly related to my AS because, though having no regular contact with actual friends I've resorted to having conversations by myself to fulfil an unmet social need.

I would describe how I talk to myself more as thinking out loud as it does help me to focus on thing sometimes. It just worried me that my Mum heard me doing it a few weeks ago and said that I should avoid doing it in case anyone hears me and thinks that I'm crazy.

I can understand where she's coming from as strangers can be very judgemental with little or no info on you as a person. However, I wonder if it's something that every one, including those without ASDs, does from time to time.

Chances are, as I haven't disclosed my AS to many people, most of my family all think I'm bonkers anyway.

Cheers!

- Skaro7

Hi Skaro7,

I tend to externalize internal thoughts too. Everyone I've met with ASD so far, have also reported: that they do this as well.

As I am still in the learning process (in regards to ASD's), I can't tell you with absolute certainty that it's an Aspie thing.

When I was in school (studying psychology), it was pointed out to me by the teacher that this type of behaviour is completely natural - a part of everyone's - cognitive process.

It will be interesting to see what others' thoughts are on this topic :)

My son does this. He is 12. He also repeats and re-enacts things he has seen/heard in films etc. This can look 'odd' from someone elses perspective as it looks like he is talking to himself and also carrying out some of the 'moves' from the films he has been watching. I know he does this for his own enjoyment. He can replay any DVD, film, TV episode he has seen like a video player in his head. But I have also said to his school that at some point we will have to try to make him aware of what he is doing and for him to do this more in private because of how others might react to him when he is an adult.

So no you are not going mad. And i'm sure alot of children/adults on the spectrum do this.

I do it all the time, it helps me think too (and it's quite a comfort)- my family does it and they aren't even on the spectrum! Just be yourself and do whatever you want, because it's your life and it's who you you are! =D