mumtoadozen

Received initial report for ds.

So as the title says I received my son's report from the community paed.

Funny how seeing it in black and white makes it an emotional read. He's stated as having a neurodevelopmental disorder with signs of hypersensitivity, temper outbursts, fine and gross motor skills are delayed more than his other skills, signs of autism spectrum disorder with aspects of hyper activity and inattention! All this I'm trying to get my head around :(

Added to this, she has made reference to his face being impassive with only one note of him smiling in response to several social smiling prompts, his greeting behaviours were on prompting from me (don't know if that is good or bad). His understanding of instruction and language was at a level above his chronological age (he's 4). There seems to be reference to him being on the 75th centile for height and weight and his head being on the 98th.....don't know if there is a relevance to that :/

His hypermobility extends to his ankles, knees, elbows, shoulders, wrists and hips, he's flat footed and clumsy when he runs. Ball skills reasonable, no visual or hearing concerns, and his pencil skills are delayed significantly as he could not draw a person, write any letters of his name and could only copy a circle.

A lot of thigs have been highlighted that we weren't aware of, especially with his flat feet and his hypermobility, he scored 5/9 on the Beighton score with the hospital paed but that was back, elbows, knees, thumbs and fingers, we weren't aware it had extended to his hips, wrists and shoulders.

Just wondering now if his gastric issues are all interlinked with it :(

Just a bit dumbfounded and lost at the minute I think :/

"gastric issues": have a look here: http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?/forum/15-diet-and-vitamins/

hypermobility is not linked to autism, afaik, there are at least two (other) syndromes which one could think about

greeting ... prompting: I think it means that you compensate, i.e. he has deficits in that area

There has been a recent paper linking HMS and ASD (but only a few weeks ago). in fact many people at the HMSA group I attend are also autistic. There are a few HMS folk in my autism circle as well. Sensory problems interlink all of your sons disabilities. There are also disabilities that link to HMS (which as your son displays pain in a hyperactive way (mines an angry way unfortunately) that would qualify for a HMS diagnosis

. He appears to have traits from all of the neurodiverse disabilities mentioned in the report. The centiles are to do with child development because some research mentions head circumference and autism being linked but im unsure whether that's small head or large head. The report appears to say your son is tall for his age as they might have been looking out for D3 deficiency (which im a borderline case).

HTH