Sign in to follow this  
hev

aspergers/adhd

steve is 12 and there just doesnt seem to be any respite or clubs he can go to,where i live they have facilities for severe autism but because steven has behaviour problems i dont think they know how to deal with his condition,i live in gravesend,kent does anyone know of any groups or playschemes he can go to?they say he cannot stay overnight at kidscamp as he is not severe enough,i dont really understand that though because he still would like to mix with people but he cannot cope with large groups

Hi Hev -

Don't know if you know it, but i think "The Parents Consortium" is quite active in Gravesend... They do beggar all in my part of Kent, but I think you could find them useful...

If you don't know of them, give your SS a ring; they should have contact numbers/local reps etc. The consortium sort of lost their way a year or two ago (bad case of 'founders syndrome'!), but as a point of contact for info where they are active they've got a pretty good reputation.

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D

We had someone come into our school about groups in gravesend and medway. There is an organisation that uses peer group mentors to support pupils at out of school clubs and things. I am on school hols at the moment but if its any use pm me and I'll get you the details when I go back in September. There are limited places, but maybe it would be of help to you

steve is 12 and there just doesnt seem to be any respite or clubs he can go to,where i live they have facilities for severe autism but because steven has behaviour problems i dont think they know how to deal with his condition,i live in gravesend,kent does anyone know of any groups or playschemes he can go to?they say he cannot stay overnight at kidscamp as he is not severe enough,i dont really understand that though because he still would like to mix with people but he cannot cope with large groups

Have you contacted the NAS?

They do have day centres for any age,on anywhere on the autism spectrum.

I have an ASDxADHD dx myself,but don't think they are very well suited to the ADHD side,in terms of support,if your son needs 1 to 1 care,it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

There should also be other groups around the area or nearby who cater for all kinds of learning difficulties and disabilities,although I am not exactly sure who to ask to find out more,disability team@social services?

Edited by TuX