Sign in to follow this  
punky

can you get help for a 19 yr old aspie in denial

my brother is 19 and most definatly an aspie, and also def dyspraxic, and even though there are a few aspies in our house he is appalled to think we think he is, the problem is his finances and inability to get a job and even sign on etc, it is quite a problem for my mum and she is desperate to be able to get him sorted with dla, how can this be done??

Hi Punky and welcome to the forum,

My husband is AS, my eldest son (27) was diagnosed with autism at the age of 19, my youngest son (24) was diagnosed with AS in June.

My youngest had a breakdown about 4 years ago and hasn't worked since. He suffers from depression. We had difficult getting my son to accept his problem was AS, he didn't want to know anything about it. He eventually said he would be willing to read about the subject if and when someone told him this was his problem and asked to be assessed.

He is now happy to have the diagnosis and doesn't feel the need to investigate AS as he quite rightly says, �I know what my strengths and difficulties are�. It?s early days though.

I think his depression is more disabling than his AS. It's a vicious circle, the more he does the more he is able to do but the lack of motivation means he does very little. At present he is even unable to look for voluntary work.

I have just had a discussion with him about making a time table of things he has to do, basic things like keeping him and his dog clean and healthy, he has agreed to do this. I have done a timetable for him before but it didn't work. I feel if he does it, he will take ownership of if, hopefully the structure and routine will help him.

He has been on benefits for 4 years now and we are thinking of helping him apply for DLA. He loses his present benefit if he works, it?s a catch 22 situation.

There?s lots of information on DLA in resources, you don?t need a diagnosis for DLA, you can get it for depression.

It might be worth contacting Connexions. You can find details in the Jargon Buster. (top right hand corner of the screen).

It must be very difficult for your mum, it takes an enormous amount of patience.

Good luck

Nellie xx

Prospects (NAS affiliated) could help,they are an employment-advice/support service for people with autism spectrum disorders,not sure whether they include those who are undiagnosed though.

You could buy a book on ASDs and leave it somewhere he will find.

[Edit]

Forgot link:

http://prospects.smartchange.org

Edited by TuX