Sign in to follow this  
lsw146

ebay trinkets

We have a badge "I am in my own little world..but it's OK because they know me there"

It sums dd up perfectly. I was very cautious about the badges for many of the previously outlined reasons, however dd had to stay in hospital recently (entirely unconnected to her asd) and the Drs kept shouting in her face (a la children tv presenter style) to get her to respond to them...she was so traumatised she didn't make eye contact or speak for about 3 weeks after. I find the badge does stop this over animation which some people think will help.

Emma

Thats a lovely phrase Emma :D

I have no opinions as yet on badges, i think its whatever you feel comfortable with and as mentioned before, how high/low functioning your child is, Though sometimes i do feel that a t-shirt with he's not naughty he's autistic would help when you are getting filthy looks whilst shopping, on the other hand you feel it's no-one elses business :huh:

Clare

Hi guys,

I have a way of dealing with unwanted stares and comments. I pretend (in my head) to be my sons carer rather than parent. It works a treat for me, it allows me to take a step back from the situation and Im more able to cope with meltdowns etc.

I work in a school and it suddenly dawned on me during a recent class outing that I could cope with the most appalling behaviour without turning a hair. Having stopped a fight, dealt with a nose bleed and soothed children frightened (and loud!) of going through tunnels on a recent train journey i realised I felt no embarrassment because they werent my children.

Ive now tried it several times with my son and it works and makes me feel far more confident.........worth a try!!

love Loraine