Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Is it possible for someone with an ASD or ADHD

to get higher rate of mobility?

Just wondering as Louis is a nightmare when it comes to going out - especially town/food shoping. He will walk right into the middle of the road - I have lost count of the amount of times that someone has had to break suddenly because he is walking in their way, or has 'staggered' into their path (he can walk well, but has problems with his gross motor skills, so will suddenly veer off to the side and not realise). Also, we like to keep shopping trips as short as possible as he gets very agitated with the noise and the amount of people around.

We get the lower rate of mobility for him at the moment, but was wondering whether to try and go for the higher rate, so as he will be eligible for the 'blue badge scheme'. which will enable us to park closer to shops, and not have to worry as much about him walking (or stumbling) in front of a car, and will mean we can get back to the car quicker if he gets too upset.

(Louis doesn't like being touched, so holding hands is a lot of hassle, and usually gets him as worked up as being in a crowded room)

Thanks Nellie - That is good to know! Will get the forms to apply. (might be easier than getting the DLA to change the level of mobility!)

I've heard of several children with ASD being awarded higher-rate mobility but, as Nellie says, you don't necessarily need the higher rate to apply for a Blue Badge.

Good luck with the application. :pray:

HI

I am interested in this topic, as up to now we have been turned down for mobility of any discription even though i have explained the difficulties with taking kieran out due to the same problems, (veering off, not wanting to hold hands, and not been able to walk far, he has nearly been knocked over and on one occasion i got a roasting off a car driver because he had to break suddenly when kieran went onto the road to invetigate a drain). But i have been told that kieran does not qualify at all. We dont have a car, so the blue badge thing is not so relevant, but on the other hand it costs us a fortune to get taxis everywhere. Busses are impossible because he wants to play with the wheels and the whole going out thing is an expensive nightmare before we even begin.

I tried to appeal against the decision only to be told that he wasnt blind/deaf and has both limbs intact, and if i was to persue the matter the middle rate of DLA could be stopped altogether. Has anyone any advice that i i could use when i re-apply, as his review is comming up and this time i want to get as much info on the form as is humanly possible.

Sorry this is a rushed post, but like always concentration is so hard with the three whirlwinds whizzing around. (im not even sure that what i have wrote makes any sense()

Thanks in advance, and good look to everyone who is undergoing this at the mo.

take care

shaz

I *think* Louis managed to get the lower level of Mobility because he cannot go anywhere without adult support due to his lack of understanding, and inability to know when someone is lying to him as much as his physical needs.

An example we put in the form was that, if someone came up to him and told him 'Your mum/dad asked me to pick you up', he wouldn't question it. He wouldn't realise the dangers in going off with someone he doesn't know. We also put in about how Louis likes to run instead of walk. We also put in about Louis's lack of spacial awareness meaning he can't judge how close he is to someone/thing else.

My ASD son gets higher rate mobility. I think this is possibly because he refuses to walk and drops down to the ground with (I think) sensory overload. We use a major buggy if we have to do something with him. Put it this way: he goes shopping once a year (early morning) to buy shoes.

My ASD son also has higher rate mobility, and middle rate care. I think we put in that he's at risk because he may panic and bolt because of sensory overload; also he sits down on the pavement and refuses to move. IT doesn't happen all the time, but it can, and we have no warning. And yes, he's also vulnerable to strangers. He also has to concentrate hard when he walks, because of spatial awareness problems and gravitational insecurity - feeling like he's falling off the face of the world. He also falls really heavily with no saving reflexes.

Sometimes when he's doing well I wonder if he should still get it, then it takes just one incident to prove that YES he still does.

When filling out the DLA forms, you have to think of the worst case scenario, even though it's depressing when you're doing it!

My elder son has Asperger's and gets lower rate mobility and middle rate care. His mobility issue is not one of panic etc (~although that can happen); it's got more to do with him falling over all the time and lack of spatial awareness; dyspraxia, basically.

Lizzie