Zebedee

Son with AS wants to kill cute things!?

Hi All,

My 9yr old son said to me tonight. .. 'have you ever thought something was so cute, you wanted to kill it?' Then he said. .. 'that cute cat that we see, I want to kill that'.

I am mortified! He loves animals and I can't imagine he would harm anything....

Has anyone ever experienced this?

His AS is relatively mild, text book symptoms.

Thank you.

Z

Sounds like he needs some psychiatric intervention, possible large does of haloperidol in the future to control his emerging psychopathic tendencies, His he also a bed wetter by any chance?

Edited by sigmund

Ask him why he wants to kill cute things? try and find out if he knows what killing is, ie illegal to kill an animal unless you are an abattoir worker or fisher or vet.

Hi,

I can remember experiencing similar feelings when I was a young child. It was almost as if I was overwhelmed by the feelings that I experienced for something so sweet and vulnerable. Try talking to him, as Trekster suggests and see if you can unpick the feelings a little. The fact that your son has asked you about the feelings suggests that he is uncomfortable with them.

I think labelling this as psychopathic tendencies is a bit OTT! I've met many kids with an ASD who don't understand how violent talk isn't appropriate but who didn't actually mean what they said. My nephew used to threaten to stab people. I think it's more of an expression of how intense the related emotion is to them. Given the right tools to recognise and express things 'better' thi gs do change. I'm very disturbed to see seriously strong antipsychotics suggested.

Hi Zebedee, I can understand why you would feel worried about this, but I do think it is encouraging that your son spoke to you about it and brought it up himself with you. If you can try to remain calm and not show too much horror and try to get to the bottom of what your son is feeling, I think that might be the best approach. I would certainly try to keep the lines of communication open and keep a close eye out for signs that your son might be wanting to act out his thoughts, but I wouldn't panic too much at this stage. I think it is entirely normal for children, especially boys, to experiment with these things. My husband used to spend hours burning ants and pulling legs off flies, etc. as a boy and, whereas it is uncomfortable, I think it is a fairly 'normal' stage of development and it doesn't usually escalate into anything more worrying.

When my lad was younger he quite matter-of-factly one day announced that he could get a knife and stab me if he wanted to. I was very shocked and alarmed, he'd never been violent before and never shown any signs of having these feelings. He never said anything like that again and never did anything violent at all and is 20 now, I think he was just simply making a statement, tbh, and not really expressing violent thoughts or tendencies at all. So, keep an eye on him but try not to be too worried. Of course, if he displays signs of wanting to act on these thoughts, you'd need to look into getting some psychological help for him, but hopefully it won't come to that, hopefully he was just making a statement too.

~ Mel ~

Hi,

My son is the same age and has been diagnosed with ASD , he says things like this all the time, especially with babies, he can't stand them around him. He would never hurt them, as he knows it's wrong, and when he says he wants to kill something, it is just like everyone else says on here, an expression of strong emotions. When I quiz him about it, he says, of course i would never kill anything, it's just so cute, I want to squeeze it to death! Everything he comes out with is so black and white, he either loves it or hates it intensely. Obviously keep an eye on his behaviour with animals etc, but I wouldn't worry about it. We constantly have to remind our son how his outbursts of feelings affect other people's feelings.

I imagine it will be an ongoing thing.