Hi, I'm a single mum and have a son with Autism. But I'm having a lot of problems with his behavior. He's 8 and goes to a special school and behaves when he's there but in the house he doesn't listen to me, he runs from room to room and screams when he doesn't want to do what I tell him. When he gets angry he throws whatever he has in his hand on the floor, a few days ago he threw his laptop and broke it!! Another thing he does is roll on the floor, I'm not sure why he does that but when I tell him to stop he doesn't listen(it gets embarrassing). Recently he's started to chew on the leaves of my mum's plants as well, he breaks them off and sometimes pulls up my mum's plants. He normally needs to wear glasses but he doesn't wear them either, only puts them on for 1 min then pulls them off again and throws them away. I'm getting very tired of his behavior but don't know what to do. I've not been able to get any respite as I've been told he needs to be 12 before we can apply!! I'm sorry to ramble on like this. But can anyone give me any ideas on calming him down or to make him listen. Thanks.

This sounds like sensory seeking or sensory avoidance behaviour apart from the laptop. The glasses could hurt his head either because they're too tight or they give him a headache wearing them.

look up "sensory integration for autism" to get hints and tips on how to help him.

You do not need to wait until he is 12 for respite.

You write a letter to the Head of Childrens Services at your Local Authority ask that a Core Assessment of need is carried out on your son and on you as a Carer.

Childrens services are legally obliged to carry out assessments when asked to do so. But make sure the request is in writing to the Head of Childrens Services at your Local Authority. Ask for him to respond within 14 working days. If you get no response, or a refusal, lodge a complaint via the Local Authority complaints procedure. If you still get no satisfaction go to the Local Governments Ombudsman who will force the LA to assess.

Is your son under any medical professional at the moment ie. educational or clinical psychologist? Or does his special school have access to an OT? You need to ask a medical professional to come to the house to see how he is, to observe him and to give you advice.

It maybe a sensory issue in the house where he is getting overwhelmed by sensory stimulus and therefore is too hyper at home. You probably know that for autism "less" is "more" [unless he is hypo sensitive and needs more stimulation - but does not sound like that!], so remove lots of visually distracting things, noisy or smelly things [vaccumn cleaner, house fresheners etc]

If possible ask school if you can "shadow" him with his TA/teacher for a couple of hours and see what the school environment is like and what his behaviour is like in school and what they do/say to get his attention and for him to comply.

This is a link to an organisation that can help give you advice on how to get an assessment for you and your son for respite and other support for out of school hours, or for respite in his school [if they have that facility]. http://disabilityrightsuk.org/steps-getting-assessment-social-services

Edited by Sally44